Wednesday, 11 September 2013 00:00
Amid Zamboanga Crisis
Market goers from various barangays went into panic mode yesterday.
Most of the business establishments such as stores, restaurants, pharmacies, banks and others remained closed since Monday the reason why residents have gone out their way searching for establishments to buy foods, medicines and other important necessities.
As early as 5 a.m., multitude trooped inside the Sta. Cruz Public Market and went on a panic buying spree.
One resident said prices of chicken has gone up from P110 to between P120 to P130 while fish remain scarce.
Most of the fishes come from Muslim fishermen who have not gone fishing because of the serious situation in the city.
Since Monday night, many were trying to buy medicines in different drugstores but most of these establishments were closed.
As this developed, classes in all levels, both in public and private institutions as well as work in all offices remain suspended yesterday in view of the current situation.
The imposition of curfew from 8 o’clock Monday night to 5am yesterday was smoothly implemented with no apprehensions or violations recorded by the police.
Per report from the police, at 3am yesterday, some 30 armed MNLF tagging along civilians as human shields from barangay Mampang were monitored proceeding to barangay Sta. Catalina to support their comrades.
However, they were blocked by police and Task Force Zamboanga personnel manning checkpoints in the area.
Reports disclosed the rebels entered the house and dragged Fr. Micheal Ufana to join the other hostages.
Casualty remains at 4 killed and 14 injured. Authorities are undertaking steps to resolve the crisis but would not divulge details of the operation.
Mayor Isabelle Climaco Salazar reiterates call for people to remain calm but vigilant and alert. Call is also reiterated for people to refrain from spreading unverified text messages.
An urgent appeal is also aired to media anew to refrain from airing sensitive information to prevent panic and confusion.
By Nonong santiago
- 11/09/2013 00:00 - Sec. Roxas says 180 hostages still with MNLF
- 11/09/2013 00:00 - Archdiocese of Zamboanga confirms 1 priest trapped by MNLF troops
- 11/09/2013 00:00 - Sec. Mar Roxas says Zambo situation is ‘stabilized’
- 11/09/2013 00:00 - Fire breaks out after blast in Santa Barbara
- 11/09/2013 00:00 - The few people roaming the city streets rush to get free fish being distributed by a blue truck filled with ice and fish.
- 11/09/2013 00:00 - Downtown Zamboanga City remains a ghost town due to the ongoing crisis. MNLF rebels managed to paralyze the city center for the two days so far.
- 12/09/2013 00:00 - Number of evacuees swell as firefight erupts in Sta. Barbara
- 12/09/2013 00:00 - Bankers group assure enough money in ATMs
- 12/09/2013 00:00 - Flights to and from Zamboanga suspended until Thursday - CAAP
- 12/09/2013 00:00 - DSWD chief releases more funds for Zamboanga City evacuees