Tuesday, 26 March 2013 13:25
District 2 independent council aspirant John David Corpin (JDC) joined a tree-planting activity conducted by the Zamboanga City Central Eagles Club (ZCCEC) in Barangay Pasonanca the other day.
Corpin, who is the city’s chairman of the LP-KKK Coalition, encouraged local folks especially the youth to help plant trees as part of his advocacies to prevent future floodings, landslide and other calamities.
He noted that some of the city’s barangays are below sea-level and floods can also occur in rivers when the flow rate exceeds the capacity of the river channel, particularly at bends or in the waterway.
“It often cause damage to homes and businesses if they are in the natural flood plains of rivers. Its destruction to property and psychological impact to people leaves ‘’scars of loneliness,” Corpin said.
He challenged the young generation while there’s still time to plant. “We should think of the future, let’s plant trees now for the next generation,” added Corpin.
For his part, ZCCEC President Pierre Adrian Macapil said the activity is part of the club’s social responsibilty for the community.
“This is one of our little ways to make a difference in our effort to save Mother Earth,” Macapil said.
The Zamboanga City Central Eagles Club has lined up several socio-civic activities which include medical-dental outreach and other humanitarian missions in the city.
By Monch L. Follosco
- 26/03/2013 13:42 - Zamboanga could tap 43MW more electricity to end blackouts
- 26/03/2013 13:41 - AIM prof chosen as WMSU Commencement Speaker
- 26/03/2013 13:37 - Angara lauds Basilan officials doing best to attract visitors
- 26/03/2013 13:34 - Zamboanga bankers assure ATMs will have cash during Holy Week
- 26/03/2013 13:33 - Fabian calls on faithfuls to observe Lent in prayerful reflections
- 26/03/2013 13:22 - 310,000 sacks of rice arrive in Zambo City
- 26/03/2013 13:17 - Mayor orders traffic rerouting scheme, banning liquors
- 25/03/2013 15:35 - Fabian vows to do away with impractical taxes
- 25/03/2013 15:29 - Angara keynotes 29th Basilan State College graduation today
- 25/03/2013 15:25 - Mayor Lobregat inaugurates P2.7M Wellness Centers in West Coast