My Google Page Rank

SNIPE SWIPES

PDFPrintE-mail

Military troops have arrested one more self-confessed member of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), this time in Muti, east coast of this city .The Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO) identified the suspect as Sahid Alip, 18, a resident of the village of Muti. Alip was arrested for illegal possession of firearms around 11:40 p.m., Sunday, by marine troops manning a checkpoint in the village of Muti, and was later found to have a standing warrant of arrest for murder.

Alip, during the investigation, admitted that he is an ASG member under the group of bandit sub-leader Jamiul Nasalun. And further probing showed Alip was one of the suspects in a shooting incident on November 10, 2016 and in the ambush of a passenger bus that injured eight passengers last February 14. Alip was then detained in the police cell.

X x x x X

A fugitive when served a warrant for his arrest last Saturday in Sta Barbara was found to be in possession of.

explosive materials. The combined operativesof the Regional City Public Safety Company that launched the arrest identified the subject as Tambrin Faisal y Indasan, 22 years old, married and a resident of Talon Talon.

The seized explosive and the IED material were turned over to the Bomb Squad Office while the suspect was committed to the City Jail awaiting trials in court.

X x x x X

A stepfather, borne out of a misunderstanding last Sunday slashed the face of his teenage ward  with a scythe.

Police Station 9 Commander, C/Insp Karib Muharram identified the victim as Ferdinand Francisco y Bacamo, 18, of Zone 7, Calle San Miguel, Barangay Ayala, this city. Muharram identified the suspect as Nestor Mendoza y Garcia, 40, single and a resident of Barangay Baluno.

But he hastened to escape towards unknown direction after the incident.

X x x x X

The true color - yellow - of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales appears looming even more as she declared, prosecutors under he office will block any attempt to make alleged pork scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles a state witness.

Her reason - since Napoles has already been indicted, the courts are the “ultimate authority” to decide whether or not she can be considered as a state witness.

“As far as the prosecution is concerned, she is one of the (alleged) principal malefactors…so certainly the office of the prosecutors will block any attempt to make her a state witness,” Morales told reporters in an interview on Tuesday. “It is the OSP (Office of Special Prosecutor) which will consider whether or not she will be a state witness and it’s going to be the court who will finally approve whether or not she is going to be a state witness.”

“We will have the last say on whether or not we will recommend her to be a state witness. We don’t find her to be a candidate,” she said.

See? Even before browsing over the recommendation of the Solicitor General, clearly Morales had already formed her judgment on the matter.

Just scan over her statements here and gloss on her adamant and tenacious stand on the issue, evidencing her pre-judged thoughts - Morales said, the Department of Justice (DoJ) can reinvestigate the pork barrel scam but her office “is not bound by any findings over cases over which the Ombudsman has the final authority to determine whether or not there is probable cause.”

As to the reported “exploratory talks” between Napoles’ camp and the DoJ, Morales said that she is “not bothered at all.”

“We are confident of our position. So whatever they say, let them say it. We are not bothered. We are not concerned at all by whatever they say about whether or not there’s a pending agreement or what is modus vivendi between Napoles and the DoJ,” she is “not bothered at all.”

Simply, folks that explains this opening statement - “The true color - yellow - of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales appears looming even more…”

Earlier observations made - when former Pres. BS Aquino II, monikered “Abnoy” and his Budget Sec. Butch Abad were charged for corruption in relation to the PDAP and DAP fund releases which were tagged illegal, Aquino was absolved, with only Abad indicted but only for an act that is evidently as light as an administrative case.

Probable reason  - being an Abnoy appointee-clone, it’s payback time, for she may owe him a big debt of gratitude or the post.

But why the need to block the tapping of Napoles as a  state witness?

Seemingly simple. Napoles is the key to unearthing the truth in the DAP scandal. And it is believed that the next target of the Duterte administration is Abnoy. With Napoles telegraphing a punch that the illegal disbursement of the DAP spans over and above the legislators, the top just might rerach Abnoy..

And remember, when Napoles surrendered, then DILG Sec, Mar Roxas escorted her to Malacañang, or was it Abnoy himself who picked her up in a cemetery? Later diggings will show us the truth.

X x x x X

This move doesn’t seem to scare Pyongyang. The UN Security Council has strongly condemned North Korea’s latest ballistic missile test and vowed strong measures, including sanctions, to derail Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program.

In a unanimous statement backed by the North’s main ally China, the council on Monday (Tuesday in Manila) vowed to punish Pyongyang’s “highly destabilizing behavior” and demanded a halt to any further nuclear or missile tests.

Punish again with trade sanctions? Rre kanila si Kim Jong-Un, porma’y nuay huisio lang na retrato (Kim Jong-Un will just laugh at them, seemingly lacking of wisdom in pictures.)

Recall, Pyongyang carried out two atomic tests last year, and has accelerated its missile launch program, despite tough UN sanctions aimed at denying leader Kim Jong-Un the hard currency needed to fund his weapons ambitions. See? Sanctions again?

US Ambassador Nikki Haley thinks so, saying “There’s a lot of sanctions left that we can start to do, whether it’s with oil, whether it’s with energy, whether it’s with their maritime ships, exports,”  adding “We can do a lot of different things that we haven’t done yet. So our options are there.”

The United States is in talks with China - Pyongyang’s main trading partner - on a possible new sanctions resolution and the Security Council is expected to hold a closed-door emergency meeting starting on Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila).

Ah, that’s better. With China participation this around it jut might work. Baka hay tene ya huisio el little big boy (… Little big boy might be waken up)

X x x x X

In spite of concerns Myanmar State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi aired on their geographical location of Mongolia and Turkey, President Duterte is amenable to their entry into the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) .

The President said the two nations expressed interest in joining the regional bloc during his separate meetings with Mongolia Prime Minister Jargaltulgyn Erdenebat and Turkey President Tayyip Erdogan on the sidelines of a trade forum in Beijing early this week.

Another ASEAN leader has some misgivings about the entry of the Mongolia and Turkey but Duterte stood his ground.

He said there has been an “ambivalent view” on whether Turkey is actually part of Asia or just a bridge between Asia and Europe.

Mongolia is located in East Asia while Turkey has been known as a transcontinental country that lies both in Asia and Europe.

ASEAN, founded in 1967, is composed of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

X x x x X

President Duterte said Tuesday he was open to exploring the South China Sea’s natural resources with rival claimants China and Vietnam, after securing a “windfall” while in Beijing.

“If we can get something there with no hassle at all, why not,” Duterte told reporters when asked about a proposal for jointly exploring the sea with China and Vietnam.

He emphasized the deal would have to be “fair and balanced.”

Duterte made no mention of Malaysia and Brunei, the two other Southeast Asian nations that also have claims to the sea.

The competing claims to the sea, which is believed to sit atop vast oil and gas deposits, have for decades made it one of Asia’s potential military flashpoints.

X x x x X

In a move to hasten protest hearings, former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Tuesday asked the Supreme Court, sitting as Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), to designate three hearing officers to help expedite the resolution of his poll protest against Vice President Maria Leonor “Leni” Robredo.

In a motion, Marcos said the assignment of hearing officers prior to a preliminary conference next month was consistent with the “summary nature and preferential status of election protest cases.”

Marcos told the PET that the election protest must be concluded soon “not only for the benefit of the winner but for the sake of public interest, which can only be achieved by brushing aside technicalities of procedure which protract and delay the trial of an ordinary action.”

Marcos, who lost to Robredo in the count by only 263,473 votes, accused the camp of the former Camarines Sur representative of benefiting from “massive electoral fraud, anomalies and irregularities” such as pre-shading of ballots, pre-loaded secure digital cards, misreading of ballots, malfunctioning vote-counting machines, and an “abnormally high” unaccounted votes for the position of vice president in the 2016 polls. (By Jimmy Cabato)




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items: