Wednesday, 24 October 2012 14:26
When the local police failed to effectively maintain peace and order the Mayor assumes responsibility under RA 6975 (PNP LAW) that took effect on January 1, 1991.
Under this law local chief executives have the power to employ and deploy local police units under its administrative, operational and general supervisory authority over local PNP units.
The mayors are assisted by the Peace and Order Council (POC) chaired by them and the local legislative bodies under its peace and order committees.
The POC serves as advisory body to local chief executives that can recommend measures to improve the peace and order while the peace and order committee of the city or Municipal council can legislate peace and order plan subject to the approval of the mayor.
The question is: Was there any legislative measure passed by the city council of Zamboanga City thru its peace and order committee that formulates a peace and order plan to help guide the police in their day to day anti-crime campaign?
The answer is: For the past 20 years no peace and order plan was ever drafted by the city council of Zamboanga City thru its peace and order committee.
Then what is there to implement if the local legislators are given limited executive authority to improve peace and order?
Can the peace and order committee lead a police patrol to oversee the peace and order situation in the city without any plan to follow?
The present peace and order committee of the city council of Zamboanga City must prepare a peace and order plan in coordination with the POC if they have the necessary knowledge otherwise, they all failed in the peace and order campaign in the city.
If there is failure in restoring peace and order in Zamboanga City then elected local officials and local authorities are to be blamed for their being inutile.
They should not blame one another for grandstanding purposes. Because for almost 20 years no one among them with due respect has done something in the city council for the purpose of improving the peace and order in Zamboanga City.
By Rex Miravite
- 26/10/2012 00:00 - Thank heavens, peace is at hand!
- 25/10/2012 14:28 - The President in the Land Down Under
- 25/10/2012 14:26 - A Reflection on the Hajj; Framework Agreement: Treaty of Hudeibiya, A Reminder; Peace At Hand Through Abraham (The Patriarch and Prophet) The Seed of Hope
- 25/10/2012 14:25 - Speech of Atty. Rosabella Lorena-Broce
- 25/10/2012 14:22 - Thoughts to ponder on educational planning
- 24/10/2012 14:23 - Regain rejoicing
- 23/10/2012 14:02 - DON’T DISPARAGE NUR MISUARI!
- 23/10/2012 14:01 - Filipino sainthood during Aquino presidencies
- 23/10/2012 13:58 - Camins-Conti and her Passion in Music
- 02/10/2012 15:06 - Fiefdoms and the conflict within