Friday, 04 May 2012 11:48
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) IX has confirmed that the landslide in Purok Masiay Barangay San Roque that occured last Tuesday afternoon was man-made.
The group conducted an inspection last Wednesday to check on the true cause of the landslide in the mentioned area.
OIC Geosciences Division, MGB IX Vheina Marie Quintana said, “Man-made siya kasi there was extraction of gravel materials in an inactive quarry site.” But she added that the rain also contributed to the incident.
According to Quintana, there was a change in the stability of the slope due to the digging conducted at its base.
Because of the incident, she warned the public, “Iwasan muna yung area kasi hindi siya stable, may fracture na nakita at may chance na magkaroon ng landslide uli.”
She explained that in quarrying, proper permits must be secured and the proper system of extraction must be followed to avoid similar incidents.
Two people were buried and killed in the said lasndslide. The victims were identified as Miguel Gamores and Roderick Cabugsa, both allegedly collecting sand and gravel with Edwin Resor.
Cabugsa was rescued after two hours, however, he died on the way to the hospital. Gamores on the other hand was found dead after hours of search and retrieval operations.
The last man-made induced landslide happened on June 24, 2008 at Kalambuan Housing Project-Phase III in Caragasan, Zamboanga City with three reported casualties, a 34 year-old pregnant woman and her 5 year old daughter who were buried alive in the landslide.
The cause of the 2008 landslide was due to a housing development construction in the said area.
In the geohazard map of the DENR MGB IX, several landslide prone areas in this City were identified.
The landslide prone areas include San Roque, Murok, Barangay Pasonanca, roads going to Barangay Capisan, mountainous section of Barangay Tulungatung near the Ayala River, Barangay Baluno and valley side in barangay Pamucutan.
By:R.G. Antonet Go
- 05/05/2012 11:31 - Zambo Peninsula 2011 fisheries production down by 18.18%
- 05/05/2012 11:30 - Lamitan City building 'sea ambulance'
- 05/05/2012 11:29 - MILF vice chair for military affairs dies of heart attack
- 05/05/2012 11:28 - MinDA board approves creation of Mindanao Power Monitoring Committee
- 05/05/2012 11:26 - Abubakar graces CJCLDS Annual Nat’l Service Day
- 04/05/2012 11:47 - Habal-habal driver shot dead
- 04/05/2012 11:46 - Lobregat: Political plans will come at the right time
- 04/05/2012 11:45 - Police, kin benefit from Beng’s livelihood trainings
- 04/05/2012 11:44 - Fabian, Lobregat hit government chief peace negotiator Leonen
- 04/05/2012 11:41 - Hataman meets Japan new aid agency head