Tuesday, 24 April 2012 12:34
Hundreds of passengers bound for Manila, Davao, Jolo and Tawi-Tawi were stranded yesterday morning when a turbo-prop plane of the Air Philippines started emitting smoke in the middle of Runway 27 while it was about to depart for Sanga-Sanga Airport in Tawi-Tawi Province.
Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines Manager Celso Bayabos disclosed that the plane was given the clearance for departure at 7 a.m.
when the pilots noticed smoke coming from the right engine of the propeller plane while it was already 300 meters away from Runway 27.
The pilots had to stop the plane in the middle of the runway and ordered the affected passengers to disembark the aircraft resulting to the delay of the 7:45 a.m. Philippine Airlines flight for Manila, Bayabos said.
According to Bayabos, the inbound flight of Cebu Pacific from Manila to Zamboanga was also diverted to Davao City Airport because of the
“Ang AirPhil bound for Sanga-Sanga Airport in Tawi-Tawi was given a clearance for take off at Runway 27, but rolling for take off mga around
300 meters away na sya beginning sa runway 27, biglang hininto ng piloto ang eroplano dahil nahalata na may diperensya ang right engine ng eroplano. Ang ibang flight ng PAL for Manila ay na-hold muna. Ang inbound flight of Cebu Pacific from Manila to Zamboanga was diverted to Davao City airport,” Bayabos said.
The airport manager said they had to borrow the tow bar of the Philippine Air Force to tow the plane out of the runway.
Bayabos said the airport was cleared for landing and departure at past 8 in the morning. A Norwegian, Einar Solheim said his flight was supposed to be at 7:45 a.m. but due to the incident, it was delayed.
Rossnelly said this is not good because they are supposed to go to the Norwegian Embassy to apply for a fiancée visa. Some passengers were also clearly upset with the delay.
There is no clear report yet as to what was the cause of the incident.
by: Nonong Santiago/Hader Glang
- 25/04/2012 11:26 - Industrial group bares effects of long blackouts
- 25/04/2012 11:25 - Aquino calls for fair and balanced reporting from media practitioners
- 25/04/2012 11:24 - Gov’t keen on signing peace accord with MILF this year - OPAPP
- 25/04/2012 11:22 - Zamboanga Motors Inc. set for bigger and world-class showroom
- 24/04/2012 12:35 - Despite additional power from TMI Zamboanga to continue with five hours blackout
- 24/04/2012 12:34 - DA seeking partners for Pinoy tablet computer
- 24/04/2012 12:32 - DOLE holds conference on road safety for buses
- 24/04/2012 12:32 - Liga ng Barangay wants sanctions for barangay officials re assemblies
- 24/04/2012 12:31 - Mines bureau stops all illegal mining operations in Zambo Peninsula
- 24/04/2012 12:30 - Pareja vows continuous fight vs coal fired power plant