Wednesday, 18 April 2012 16:17
An alleged hostage taker was shot to death for hacking a maritime policeman and stabbing a fishing boat crew on board F/B Ruskei while docked at Ben Go wharf along Baliwasan Seaside, Barangay Baliwasan, this city, yesterday afternoon.
Local police office, Criminal Investigation and Detective Management Unit (CIDMU) chief Sr. Inspector Joel Tuttuh identified the suspect as Aunal Agiyal, 36, married, allegedly an escort of Vice Mayor Nickerson Tan of Mapun, Tawi-TAwi Province.
Tuttuh said the victim sustained fatal gunshot wounds on his head and body resulting to his instantaneous death.
Probers said the suspect suddenly attacked and repeatedly stabbed a boat crew identified as Tots Moreno.
Fishing boat captain Feliciano Alano, 47, married, a native of Palawan told Zamboanga Today that his crew was able to escape from further harm. But the suspect held hostage Alano, his wife and other crew members onboard the boat.
“Pinigilan niya kaming umalis”, Alano said.
Alano added that he managed to calm the suspect and by chance, escaped unharmed. Personnel of the Maritime Police arrived and negotiated for Agiyal’s peaceful surrender. However, the suspect instead took a mini-bolo and hacked Police Officer 2 Nurhussin Elaji on the head prompting the other policemen to shoot the suspect.
Police said PO2 Elaji and Moreno were rushed to Zamboanga Brent Hospital for medical treatment while the cadaver of Agiyal was brought to Villa Funeral Homes for the post mortem examination.
Alano averred that the suspect left the boat last Monday night and returned at about 2:00 a.m. yesterday. For unknown reason, he attacked Moreno.
“Tinawagan pa niya.....pare, pare tapos sinaksak kaagad sa ulo at likod ni Moreno. Actually, bago lang yan (Agiyal) pinasama ni vice mayor (referring to Vice Mayor Nickerson Tan) para magbantay sa mga huli na isda,” the boat captain said.
Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) recovered 4 empty shells of 9mm Caliber Pistol and a spent shell of M16 Armalite Rifle and a mini-bolo at the crime scene.
A continuous investigation is still being conducted by the local police office to determine the motive of the incident.
By Eugene A. Lasprilla
- 18/04/2012 16:21 - Agan welcomes Pacman to PDP
- 18/04/2012 16:20 - PHL troops to teach U.S. soldiers on jungle survival techniques during Balikatan 2012
- 18/04/2012 16:19 - Barcena is new DIPO-WM
- 18/04/2012 16:18 - DOH holds 5th national staff meeting in Zambo
- 18/04/2012 16:18 - Hataman: All reforms are geared towards peace
- 18/04/2012 16:16 - Man mauled, stabbed to death
- 18/04/2012 16:15 - Fernandez re-elected Red Cross Board Chairperson
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - Tricyle operators want increase in fare rate
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - One dead, two wounded in motorcycle, bus collision
- 17/04/2012 00:00 - Beng turns over P11M cancer center to ZCMC