Wednesday, 11 April 2012 10:54
A loud explosion triggered panic among the local residents of kilometer 6, Barangay Mampang, this city, yesterday dawn.
Tetuan Police Station commander Chief Inspector Felix Martinez Jr. said the explosion occurred in a vacant lot near the house of Gilbert Morados.
Bomb experts from the Explosive and Ordnance Disposal Unit (EODU) of the local police confirmed that an MKII fragmentation grenade exploded in the area based on the debris retrieved from the site.
The bomb experts failed to retrieve the grenade’s safety pin and lever from the scene.
Martinez told Zamboanga Today that the incident was similar to the grenade hurling incident last January 4, 2012 where unidentified suspects threw a hand grenade at a vacant lot also in the same place.
Authorities suspect that unscrupulous people are behind the said incident whose aim was to create panic and to disturb the tranquility of the place.
Martinez said there is also a possibility that the suspects are provoking to create friction between two feuding groups in the area to break the ceasefire situation.
“I alert once again the police personnel deployed in the Barangays of Talon-Talon, Mampang, and Arena Blanco, all in this city, to be superior in maintaining peace and order in the areas”, Martinez said in a phone interview.
Authorities responded at the explosion area but failed to track down the people responsible in the incident.
By Eugene A. Lasprilla
- 11/04/2012 10:58 - Asia's Latin City of Killings is more appropriate for Zamboanga
- 11/04/2012 10:57 - Aquino declares April 25 a special non-working day in Isabela, Basilan
- 11/04/2012 10:56 - Armed men attack police station, abduct policeman
- 11/04/2012 10:55 - BIR appeals for correct tax payment as deadline nears
- 11/04/2012 10:54 - Fire razes two houses in mampang
- 11/04/2012 10:53 - Two men held for gun possession
- 11/04/2012 10:52 - Kabang to give birth soon
- 11/04/2012 10:52 - Lobregat says he understand families of shooting victim
- 11/04/2012 10:51 - NPA rebels raid Zamboanga police headquarters
- 11/04/2012 10:35 - Eustaquio family official statement on murder of UZ President, Arturo "Archie" F. Eustaquio, III as read by Atty. Linda Lim