Wednesday, 01 February 2012 13:52
The Regional Agriculture and Fishery Council (RAFC) IX has reiterated its commitment to protect the City of Zamboanga's natural resource against illegal mining especially small scale mining.
In a press statement sent to Zamboanga Today, Region IX RAFC Chairman Rodolfo Iglesias said: "The RFC IX has been consistent in its stand in protecting the City's natural resources.
Acts that destroy one abundant and rich natural resources include small scale mining, illegal quarrying, deforestation and land conversion.
Iglesias stressed that all these acts will definitely affect the agricultural sector especially the farmers and fisher folks which is their only source of livelihood.
RAFC as a monitoring arm of the Department of Agriculture (DA) Region IX, Iglesias said have been vocal in its advocacy to stop the granting of permits to persons who are engaged in small scale mining and illegal quarrying in the region.
He reminded people that the recent landslide that occurred in Compostela Valley which was blamed on the rampant illegal mining in the said area is a proof of what untold damage mining can produce.
"Therefore, we should not wait for the same catastrophe to happen in any parts of Region IX before we should act," he emphasized.
Iglesias also voiced out another concern particularly on the use of non-biodegradable materials such as plastic bags and styro foams.
"RAFC had come up with a suggestion that an ordinance be issues by all LGUs especially in Mindanao to prohibit the use of plastic bags and styrofoams," he said.
By Hader Glang
- 01/02/2012 13:56 - DENR eyes small-scale mining's rationalization
- 01/02/2012 13:55 - Police arrest drug pushers
- 01/02/2012 13:54 - City engineer says 'Dancing Fountain' is 65% complete
- 01/02/2012 13:54 - Birthday visitor hacked by wife of celebrant
- 01/02/2012 13:53 - JICA visits ARMM, update partnership and basic policy for cooperation
- 01/02/2012 13:52 - Leonen says GPH, MILF negotiating to craft “genuine autonomy”
- 01/02/2012 13:51 - Valesco pushes for protection, promotion of Puerta Piedra falls
- 31/01/2012 10:49 - City watershed awaits DENR MOA for expansion
- 31/01/2012 10:49 - New Police Regional Director vows to campaign against loose firearms
- 31/01/2012 10:48 - Senate passes cybercrime bill on 3rd and final reading