Saturday, 31 December 2011 00:00
The Zamboanga City Fire District has reminded the general public to take precautionary measures in using firecrackers and other pyrotechnics as it heightens its alert level status on New Year's Eve.
This was disclosed yesterday by Zamboanga City District Fire Marshal, F/Supt. Dominador Zabala, Jr., who said that their fire district is urging the people to seriously take fire safety measures in the proper handling of fireworks and other pyrotechnics during the New Year's Eve celebration and to keep the public aware on the need to prevent the occurrence of destructive fire in order to save lives and properties.
Supt. Zabala Jr. further said that inspired by Filipino customs and traditions, Christmas holidays are celebrated with festive and joyous revelry and pyrotechnics are among the vibrant practices that exemplify happiness during these jovial celebrations which at all times like these, fire safety is at risks of being compromised that usually resulted in numerous cases of fire incidents, fatalities and injuries.
The Zamboanga City Fire District has been on heightened alerts status since the start of the Christmas holidays until before and after the New Year revelries and safety precautionary measures and fire safety information campaign were also conducted in some public places and fire-prone areas/barangays in this city.
Supt. Zabala Jr. also revealed that as per nationwide statistics, 546 firecracker-related casualties were reported in the aftermath of 2011 New Year celebrations and this is 7 percent higher if compared to 2010 and 19 percent higher than the previous five years on the average. The year that had been meanwhile, yielded 50 cases of fire incidents caused by fireworks, marking a 13.6 percent increase that of the preceding year.
He added that fire trucks and other firefighting equipment of the 14 fire and sub-stations in the city's east and west coasts, including the Emergency Medical and Rescue Service response vehicles, were placed on heightened alert until New Year's Eve celebration to immediately respond to fire calls and other emergencies.
We are appealing to all resident of this city to take precautionary measures during the celebrations of New Year's Eve and never light a firecracker or any other pyrotechnics while smoking to prevent accidents or injuries,” F/Supt. Zabala, Jr. said.
- 03/01/2012 13:53 - Cop, wife shot in Guiwan on New Year’s Day
- 03/01/2012 13:52 - Man stabbed in downtown area
- 03/01/2012 13:51 - ZCMC registers 31 firecracker injuries
- 03/01/2012 13:49 - One dead as pick-up collides with trike
- 03/01/2012 13:48 - TVIRD completes second zinc shipment as mining ban looms
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - Beng urges support for DOH’s APIR drive
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - Prison protest turns bloody in Dipolog City
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - City gov't will not spend for fireworks display at Paseo
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - St. Francis House sponsors special Xmas party for wards
- 31/12/2011 00:00 - Palace reiterates call against use of firecrackers