Friday, 07 October 2011 16:19
A warm welcome awaits balikbayans or Zamboangueño expats who are visiting Zamboanga in time for the fiesta, when the District I congressional office hosts “Una Noche Latina, Fiesta Zamboangueño-Beng Climaco Balikbayan Night” on Sunday, October 9.
Now on its second year, Balikbayan night is Cong. Beng Climaco’s way of welcoming home fellow Zamboangueños who have been out of the country or the city but would make time to celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of the Pillar by coming back to Zamboanga when October comes.
‘Una Noche Latina’ will be a night of fun, music and rekindled friendship—all for free.
"This is our contribution to making our Hermosa Festival meaningful to our returning compoblanos and so we invite all of them to join us por un noche verdad Latina,", House Deputy Speaker Beng Climaco said.
Hundreds of Zamboangueños residing abroad come to their hometown Zamboanga to pay homage to the Nuestra Señora La Virgen del Pilar every October. They are also invited to take part in various activities lined up for the fiesta prepared by the city government in a celebration dubbed “Fiesta Hermosa 2011”.
The festivities kicked off October 1st leading to October 12, the feast day of Nuestra Señora La Virgen del Pilar, which will be reserved for religious activities. Highlights of the celebration include the nightly inter-barangay cluster cultural presentation at the Paseo del Mar; Cosechas de Zamboanga, an agri-trade fair at the Veterans Memorial; Mascota, a showcase of chabacano inspired gowns; regatta, a race of colourful vintas at R.T. Lim Boulevard; chabacano songfest, a competition of chabacano songs; Wow Sardinas, a sardine-eating galore at the R.T. Lim Boulevard; float parade and street dance and the grand procession.
‘Una Noche Latina’ will be held at the Hacienda de Palmeras in Sta. Maria at 7pm.
Admission to the event for balikbayans will be for free, however, due to the limited seats of 150, all other locals who wish to attend can buy their tickets reasonably priced.
Tickets are available at the Office of Cong Beng Climaco at Sta Maria, Department of Tourism, City Tourism Office and at any PS Bank Branches in the city.
By Marvin Segura
- 08/10/2011 00:00 - Thousands march for nat'l day of RH purple ribbon
- 08/10/2011 00:00 - Sadain describes Mayor Lobregat as 'Pikon'
- 08/10/2011 00:00 - 2 inutile hospitals in ARMM reactivated
- 08/10/2011 00:00 - URBANDUB performs tonight at City Coliseum
- 07/10/2011 16:19 - Jaycess gather in Zambo for national convention
- 07/10/2011 16:19 - Batch ’85 rules Chong Hua’s Alumni cage tourney 2011
- 07/10/2011 16:18 - Affordable housing for teachers mulled
- 07/10/2011 16:18 - Jolo imposes 6-hour curfew
- 07/10/2011 16:17 - Lobregat offers P5 to councilors opposing CR fee
- 07/10/2011 16:17 - Malaysian deportees arrive in city