Thursday, 24 March 2011 14:23
Executive leaders of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines (BSP) in Eastern and Western Mindanao regions headed by former Vice Mayor Manuel "Mannix" Dalipe met with Basilan Vice Governor Al Rasheed Sakkalahul on Tuesday to discuss plan of activities for this coming year.
The gathering, dubbed as the 1st Joint Regional Scout Committee Meeting of the BSP Eastern & Western Mindanao Region, was held at Basilan Provincial Capitol in Isabela City, hosted by Sakkalahul, who chairs the BSP-Basilan chapter.
During the meeting, Sakkalahul designated the scout executives from different regions in Mindanao as Basilan's ambassadors of goodwill, saying "I designated them to be our ambassador of goodwill to tell to the people in other areas of the country that Basilan province is not dangerous to stay and is not a war zone."
The meeting of scout executives in the regions was attended also by Camiguin Vice Governor Leo Lasacar, who chairs the BSP-Eastern Mindanao Region; Rizal Pangilinan, BSP secretary-general; and Danilo Asiaten, BSP national executive board.
According to Dalipe, the joint meeting of the BSP-WMR and BSP-EMR was very fruitful as they discussed issues and concerns involving the BSP organization in Western and Eastern Mindanao areas.
"I am very happy that we were able to come up with the numerous activities for scouting. This is the first time that both BSP-WM/EM regions are meeting together as one. Usually when we meet, it is by region," Dalipe said.
"This a joint effort to show to the other parts of the country Luzon, Visayas that here in Mindanao the possibility of uniting and creating more lasting peace can be done through the scouting movement," the former vice mayor added.
Dalipe thanked the provincial government of Basilan, especially Vice Governor Sakkalahul, Governor Jum Akbar, and other local government officials, for hosting the 1st ever joint meeting of BSP-WMR/EMR.
"We are very much thankful to the officials - Vice Governor Sakkalahul, Governor Akbar and the provincial board members - for hosting the event and supporting the activities. We want to impress that in Basilan, there are improvements going on."
By Hader Glang
- 25/03/2011 14:27 - Truck turns-turtle in Quiniput
- 24/03/2011 14:28 - Edding's position as Councilor is highly at risk - Sadain
- 24/03/2011 14:26 - RH bill violates constitutional rights of Filipinos - Archdiocese
- 24/03/2011 14:25 - Jihan vows to serve even if removed as councilor
- 24/03/2011 14:24 - Farmer hacked to death
- 24/03/2011 14:23 - Voters registration to continue in ARMM
- 24/03/2011 14:22 - Caddie stabbed dead
- 24/03/2011 14:21 - US Ambassador visits Sulu, Basilan; pledges more support
- 23/03/2011 16:12 - Climaco, Fabian vote to impeach Ombudsman
- 23/03/2011 16:11 - New BSP building to be completed in October