Saturday, 05 March 2011 16:37
“Marcha De Las Mojeres” (women’s march) will kick off the International Women’s Month celebration here with the theme. “Magna Carta ng Kababaihan, Kaagapay sa Pag-unlad n gating Buhay”.
The Marcha De Las Mojeres activity which is set this coming March 8 is expected to gather hundreds of women of Zamboanga and join in this “walk for a cause” endeavor.
Councilor Lilia Nuno, Gender and Development (GAD) chairperson in a press statement said participants to the “walk for a cause” will have to start walking 7:00 in the morning with starting point at the City Hall grounds down to the Joaquin Enriquex Memorial Sports Complex where a short program will fallow.
Nuno in the same press statement encouraged the participants to come in their violet or lilac shirts or blouses as a show of support to the cause of women and children.
The activity hopes to raise the level of public awareness on the importance of RA 9710 (Magna Carta of Women) to serve as venue in synergizing efforts to address gender issues and the development of programs and strategies for the illumination of all forms of discrimination against women.
The “walk for a cause” is also expected to collect cash and check donations including kind pledges not just from walk-participants but also from various donors.
Beneficiaries to the collected donations are: 1.) Battered women who are housed at the Women’s Crisis Center; 2.) Ward 9 Psychiatric Patients of the Zamboanga City Medical Center (ZCMC) and the 3.) 117 women inmates of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP).
The said activity is an annual fund-raising activity of the City government of Zamboanga through GAD Focal Point in partnership with the Local Council of Women (LCW).
By JP Alvarez-PIA
- 05/03/2011 16:42 - Another lady kidnapped in Zambonga City
- 05/03/2011 16:40 - Hundreds to join 'Tour de Fabian'
- 05/03/2011 16:40 - Guard shoots minor for stealing
- 05/03/2011 16:39 - Man hacked to death
- 05/03/2011 16:38 - Lobregat: Pre-school teachers to use Chavacano as medium of instruction
- 05/03/2011 16:35 - Mayor reacts on Zamcelco franchise tax issue
- 05/03/2011 16:32 - ERC authorizes Zamcelco to recover franchise tax from consumers
- 04/03/2011 12:03 - 6 Zambo City areas identified as adventure tourism sites
- 04/03/2011 12:00 - BFP Regional Director orders full transfer of regional office to Pagadian
- 04/03/2011 11:59 - Military intelligence arrest suspected Abu bandit in Sulu