Wednesday, 02 March 2011 13:45
Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jess Robredo yesterday said it is better to spend the money implementing projects than keeping it in the bank where it does not benefit the people.
Secretary Robredo's statement developed after radio commentators - Gil Climaco and Jimmy Villaflores of Radyo Mo Natiowide (RMN) - raised questions regarding the city government's P2.7 billion that has been deposited in the bank.
Although he admitted it is also good for the local government to be financially sound, he stressed that it would be far better to use the money for the much needed projects that will redound to the benefit of the city's constituents.
"Tama po...kung may natitirang pera...pero hindi naman po tama kung masyado siyang malaki (that is right...if there is money left... but it is not good if that is very big)," the DILG chief added.
Zamboanga City is known to the public as one of the richest local government units in Mindanao. Its incumbent chief executive, Mayor Celso Lobregat has been cited for his outstanding leadership and good fiscal management.
Some local economic managers here considered Lobregat's leadership and fiscal management as "extraordinary" which abled the city government to fund infrastructure projects amounting to over a billion pesos in 2008.
By Hader Glang
- 03/03/2011 13:00 - Freed kidnap victim converts to Islam
- 02/03/2011 13:49 - Kidnapped nurse freed in Sibugay after 76 days
- 02/03/2011 13:47 - DILG: Vice Mayor signature enough for Councilors travel
- 02/03/2011 13:46 - Milo's nat'l cage tourney to be held in Zambo
- 02/03/2011 13:46 - Police, TFZ conduct saturation drive in Recodo
- 02/03/2011 13:44 - Young man commits suicide
- 02/03/2011 13:43 - Gas owner denies she owns truck involved in accident
- 02/03/2011 13:39 - Valesco guests in District-wide Arts Fair 2011
- 01/03/2011 20:19 - Zamcelco officials face first criminal case
- 01/03/2011 20:19 - Basilan celebrates 37th founding anniversary