Monday, 17 January 2011 14:59
Four Governors, nine congressmen, and more or less five hundred mayors and other elected officials of cities and provinces in the Zamboanga Peninsula including Misamis Occidental, are well on their way to forming a formidable united group initially known as the Western Peninsula.
In an interview, former Zamboanga del Norte Congressman and now Chairman of the Gloria de Dapitan and Fantasyland sa Dapitan, Mr. Romeo Jalosjos revealed that the governors and congressmen of Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, and Misamis Occidental met for about five hours at Dakak park and beach resort in Taguilon, Dapitan City and already agreed to form the Western Peninsula group.
Jalosjos said the leaders’ main objectives in forming the group are to improve economic development, peace and order, and tourism in their respective provinces, cities and municipalities. He said the officials included in the Western Peninsula also recognize the need to “equally distribute opportunities in the region.”
Jalosjos explained, “We have to help one another if we want our respective cities and provinces to progress.” He added that by joining hands and cooperating with each other, the members of the Western Peninsula will definitely progress and develop so much faster than they can individually.
Jalosjos admitted that officials from Zamboanga City were not invited to the meeting. He said the officials who joined the meeting have good working relationship with each other and are openly communicating especially on issues concerning the well being of the region.
It was learned that Pagadian City, who is competing with Zamboanga City for the Regional Center, will be part of the group.
Jalosjos said a technical working group has been formed and are now finalizing details of the official formation of the Western Peninsula. He added that anytime soon, more or less five hundred mayors and other elected officials of the different cities and municipalities in Zamboanga Peninsula, who will form part of the group, will also meet in Dapitan City.
Among those who attended the meeting and agreed to form the Western Peninsula include Zamboanga del Norte Governor Rolando Yebes, Zamboanga Sibugay Governor Rommel Jalosjos, Zamboanga del Sur Governor Antonio Cerilles and Misamis Occidental Governor Herminia Ramiro. Also present were Congressmen Seth Jalosjos and Cesar Jalosjos of the 1st and 3rd Districts of Zamboanga del Norte respectively; Aurora Cerilles of the 2nd District of Zamboanga del Sur; and Jonathan Cabilao and Romeo Jalosjos Jr. of the 1st and 2nd Districts of Zamboanga Sibugay respectively.
The Western Peninsula is expected to be officially formed in a few months time. (J)
- 18/01/2011 11:36 - 19 Zambo cops charged in 2010
- 18/01/2011 11:34 - Police clarifies alleged abduction in San Roque
- 18/01/2011 11:33 - PRO9 starts series of trainings for policemen
- 18/01/2011 11:31 - Sec. Deles glad over MNLF-GRP Legal Panels' peace efforts
- 18/01/2011 11:27 - Asia Foundation gives 5,000 new books to 85 Zambo public schools
- 17/01/2011 14:58 - Police car slams barrier in Sangali
- 17/01/2011 14:58 - Man arrested for illegal possession of firearms
- 17/01/2011 14:57 - Beng gifts Southcom NHS with P3M building
- 17/01/2011 14:56 - Lobregat, Climaco call on RDs to submit position paper on Regional Center issue
- 17/01/2011 14:56 - DTI enhances business registration procedures