Tuesday, 04 January 2011 09:56
At least ten houses were submerged Sunday night at Marcos and Galvez Drive in barangay Putik due to the heavy downpour that hit the city over the weekend.
The rain started at around 10 p.m. Sunday and lasted until to 2 a.m. of Monday Morning flooding the Putik River in the process.
Residents disclosed a big trunk of tree was the reason of the flood when it remained stuck under a bridge jamming the flow of the rampaging water.
They said at the height of the flood, the water swelled up to the waistline and most of them stayed outside of their residences and were not able to sleep because of the rising water.
A store owner, Roberto Galvez said, the water rose up to the waistline and many of their valuables inside their store have been damaged including their sewing machine and karaoke.
He said it was the second time they experienced big flood in their area. Most of the residents especially women and children were awake up to the wee hours of the morning.
Meanwhile, Mayor Celso Lobregat has directed City Social Welfare Officer Francisco Barredo to provide assistance to the residents affected by the flood.
Lobregat along with Putik barangay chairman Gerry Perez were in the area at around 2 a.m. to assess the situation.
The mayor said aside from the tree trunk that clogged the passage of the water, the other reason are the putting of concrete fences by many residents that hinder the flow of water which caused the flood.
By Nonong Santiago
- 05/01/2011 13:29 - MILF receives GRP panel's invitation for exploratory talks
- 05/01/2011 13:28 - Atilano re-appointed, Caliolio new ZCWD Director
- 04/01/2011 09:59 - Jawo bares DBM requires Mayor to seek council approval to purchase goods, services
- 04/01/2011 09:59 - Jimenez cautions Mayor over P100-M projects per month quota
- 04/01/2011 09:56 - De Ocampo unseals police firearms
- 04/01/2011 09:54 - Police arrest three suspected carnappers
- 04/01/2011 09:53 - Cotabato Bishop hopes for early resumption of GRP-MILF talks in 2011
- 04/01/2011 09:52 - ARMM Education Act to bolster education in the region
- 04/01/2011 09:52 - Huge sea turtle found in Pitogo, dies later
- 03/01/2011 10:57 - Newly appointed Zamcelco project supervisor pays courtesy call on Mayor