Saturday, 22 September 2012 14:11
The Zamboanga Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation, inc. (ZCCIFI) will soon kick-start a timely “Save mother Earth, Say no to Plastic Bag” campaign in Zamboanga City.
“It is time that we do something for the environment by enjoining all business establishments in Zamboanga City to emphasize to their customers to carry their own bag while buying or going shopping”.
As part of the campaign, the ZCCIFI spearheaded by its Committee on Environment and Corporate Social Responsibility will engage all members of the business community to make their establishments plastic-free.
This effort, to make this city plastic free by executing the “Save Mother Earth, Say No to Plastic Bag” drive, will serve as a wake-up call to the people of Zamboanga City to the hazards of plastic with the ultimate aim towards a cleaner and greener Zamboanga City.
Littered plastic is a problem with a very negative social and environmental impact, and is fundamentally a problem of irresponsible behaviour which should be tackled by changing people’s attitude. Some people believe that one way to tackle this problem is to use biodegradable plastics as an environment-friendly solution for things such as plastic bags, but is it really better for the environment?
The Save Mother Earth, Say No to Plastic Bags” drive shall inspire others to follow if we can only set an example:
For the sellers, “Even though the costs of producing recycled paper are more expensive, we feel that it’s worth it as it helps to conserve Earth’s precious natural resources and it also helps to spread the message that conservation is good for Mother Earth. Please take note that the less we choose plastic, the less will be manufactured. It’s the simple law of supply and demand. If we buy recycled products, companies will make more, and the prices will drop.”
For the buyers, “We are thought of as being weird if we adamantly refused to take plastic bags at a store. But by doing so, the person standing behind us at the counter will notice our action and certainly think about it. We might be the cause for bringing about this change as well.”
In saving mother earth, it is never too late if we best be doing something right now. There’s no more time to stick our heads in the sand and pretend that what’s going on in the rest of the world does not have anythng to do with us. If a finger is infected, the whole body is affected.
Lastly, we hope that you will help us in our endeavour to bring a plastic free culture to Zamboanga City. Adelante Zamboanga Hermosa: LIMPIO Y VERDE!
- 24/09/2012 13:19 - Rep. Fabian gets PEEP underway in Zambo City
- 24/09/2012 13:16 - Typhoon Lawin enhances southwest monsoon causing heavy rains in Zambo
- 22/09/2012 14:20 - Gov't forces raid terror camp, kill 5 Abus, rescue Chinese kidnap victim, capture bombing suspect
- 22/09/2012 14:15 - PAL plans to cease operation in Zambo City - Councilor Biel
- 22/09/2012 14:12 - Police arrest man for gun tooting in Brgy Vitali
- 22/09/2012 14:08 - Sulu OIC Gov calls on SULECO to be a reliable partner in dev't
- 22/09/2012 14:07 - WMSU throws birthday bash to Prexy Ho
- 22/09/2012 14:04 - Zamboanga City’s YSP-PAZ receives ASEAN AWARD in Bangkok, Thailand
- 22/09/2012 13:55 - ZCCIFI calls Multi stakeholders' support for ICT Roadshow
- 21/09/2012 13:59 - COA finds City Health in Zambo City has weak internal control system