Sunday, 19 August 2012 00:00
Business tycoon Fernando Zobel de Ayala has visited in Zamboanga City to join the centennial anniversary celebration of the local branch of Bank of Philippine Island (BPI) as guest of honor and to inaugurate their newly-finished museum.
Zobel de Ayala, also the PBI director, was accompanied by BPI President Aurelio Montinola and National Historical Commission Chairperson Dr. Maria Serena I. Diokno during the visit yesterday.
Deputy Speaker for Mindanao and Zamboanga City District I Congresswoman Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar and Mayor Celso Lobregat met the business tycoon from Makati City.
They also joined the visiting business tycoon’s activities here including the centennial celebration of the BPI held inside its main branch at NS Valderosa St. and inauguration of the BPI Museum last August 17, also held inside the BPI main branch compound.
The celebration started with a Mass at the Fort Pilar and the proper turnover of the crown of the Nuestra Señora La Virgen Del Pilar to the church which was reportedly lost for 50 years.
The long lost gold crown with gems of the Nuestra Señora La Virgen Del Pilar, has been found securely inside a safety box of the BPI in this city.
After the mass, a historical marker in front of the building was unveiled. The marker signifies the recognition of the National Historical Commission that Barrios House, as the building is known, is a historical landmark.
The National Historical Commission together with the BPI officials also signed a certificate of transfer of the Historical Marker.
The inauguration of the BPI Museum immediately followed where it showcased several rooms such as the Pershing Room which gives tribute to Gen. John Jacob Pershing who was responsible for bringing BPI to Zamboanga, The Managers Room, The Moro Weapons and Musical Instruments Room, The Grand Sala, and The Period Furniture’s.
The rooms in the museum contains several pictures, antique furniture’s, wardrobes, musical instruments and others which is part of the history and culture of the city.
A program was also conducted where the guests were toured to the BPI Museum and the guest gave their respective speeches.
Zobel de Ayala said “We felt so special here today in the city of Zamboanga both for the inauguration of our museum and also the coronation that we witness today during the mass it was a very moving ceremonies.”
By: R.G. Antonet Go
- 20/08/2012 14:34 - WWF, BPI conduct workshop on biz risk, climate change
- 20/08/2012 14:31 - ZCCCIFI won’t stop promoting the city as an investment hub
- 20/08/2012 14:30 - Zobel de Ayala: ‘I feel safe in Zambo City’
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - Still no lead in Archie Eustaquio’s murder case
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - 15-yr-old girl raped by brother
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - More Army troops deployed to Basilan
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - Police form task force to probe twin bombings
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - Police release cartographic sketch of suspect in Zambo bus bombing
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - Police reveal identities of gunmen in Recodo, Sta. Maria shootings
- 19/08/2012 00:00 - Troops clash anew with NPA rebels in Zambo Sibugay