Saturday, 18 August 2012 11:13
Following the twin explosions that rocked Zamboanga City last Thursday night, authorities have tightened security at the city's international aiport.
Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Manager Celso Bayabos said security measures in the airport have been strengthened.
Security officials including the airport chief security and the aviation police convened to conduct strict security measures inside the airport facility.
“I have also ordered the round the clock surveillance of security personnel inside the airport's perimeter with the assistance of sniffing dogs,” said Bayabos.
Bayabos also asked the Aviation police to strictly check vehicles coming inside the airport especially with the use of under-chassis mirror bomb detector and metal detectors to avert possible entry of explosives.
It can be recalled, years back the airport had been thrown to panic when a suspected bomber blown himself at the arrival area of the airport with the intention to kill a top Sulu official.
In that incident, the official narrowly escaped the slay-bomb attempt while the suspected bomber perished in that incident.
Bayabos asked plane passengers to be at the airport one hour before their flight to avoid from encountering problems due to the precautionary and strict measures inside airport facility.
By Nonong Santiago
- 18/08/2012 11:26 - Mayor Lobregat includes politics as one of angles on 2 blasts
- 18/08/2012 11:25 - PAZ, IRSMP, GCCPBA ink MOA with DepEd for “Peace Education”
- 18/08/2012 11:25 - Police eye angles of extortion, terrorism, diversionary tactics for twin bombings
- 18/08/2012 11:24 - PRC awards Best of Men and Women, presents candidates for Miss Red Cross 2012
- 18/08/2012 11:19 - Ramadan trade fair
- 17/08/2012 15:57 - 2 more dead in fresh wave of shootings along Camins Avenue, Barangay Recodo
- 17/08/2012 15:53 - Agan backs UZ tarpaulin showing count down of gunshot victims
- 17/08/2012 15:52 - CMZ opens new Eye Care Center
- 17/08/2012 15:51 - Iturralde urges Estilles to assess police performance
- 17/08/2012 15:46 - Political will needed to solve problem, says Mercy Arquiza