Thursday, 16 August 2012 14:13
Following the sentiments of the motorists, Councilor Vincent Paul Elago yesterday said he favors the proposal by some members of the August Body asking the police, Land Transportation Office, Department of Trade and Industry and other concerned agencies to relax on the implementation of the full face helmet law in Zamboanga City.
Elago said although the wearing of the covered helmets is already mandated by a national law but the situation of every Local Government Units differ from one another.
“If the people in Manila thinks only about the safety a covered helmet can bring to the wearer, the situation in Zamboanga City is different because we are also concerned about the security of the people especially the motorists against the use of the full-faced helmets by suspected gunmen on board motorcycles,” Elago said.
The councilor questioned why concerned officials in Manila have not consulted with the motorcycle riding public in this city when they approved the helmet law.
Elago said no less than the police have admitted that 80 percent of the killings in the city have been perpetrated by suspected gunmen using full-faced helmets.
He stressed that the DTI memorandum only calls for the use of the standard protective helmets by the motorists and do not really mandate the use of the full-faced covering.
According to Elago, Pagadian City is using the reverse-type of law where the mayor has issued an executive order calling motorists not to use the helmet and asking the police and LTO to relax on the implementation.
“I even checked the records of the Pagadian City Council where there is an executive order regulating the use of the helmets. Actually they know that there is a national law mandating the use of the full-faced helmets but they are lax on the implementation. We can also do that here,” Elago pointed out.
Meanwhile, Councilor Rudy Bayot questioned why the august body is dilly-dallying with the helmet issue.
“Cosa ba ta pasa catanon, bien mahina man gayot kita. Atrasao gayot kita na otro maga lugar que cosa sila quiere ase, ta ase sila dayun. Ta afecta ya ese na administracion del mayor y diaton aki na consejo kay tarda kita mobe,” Bayot angrily raised voice. He also bad mouthed, which was ordered stricken off the records by Vice Mayor Cesar Iturralde.
By Nonong Santiago
- 17/08/2012 15:39 - Two drug suspects nabbed in Tagasilay, Sta. Catalina
- 16/08/2012 14:28 - LTO: Implementation of law on full face helmet to affect 50,000 motorcycle owners
- 16/08/2012 14:26 - Abu Sayyaf rebels kill soldier in new fighting in Basilan
- 16/08/2012 14:23 - City’s peace council meets on helmet issue
- 16/08/2012 14:18 - Col. Junio takes over PAF’s 530th ABW command
- 16/08/2012 14:13 - Jalosjos camp wants medicines for poor readily available
- 16/08/2012 14:12 - Lobregat: ‘Next mayor must be a role model’
- 16/08/2012 14:11 - Man breaks into farmer’s home, kills 1, injures 2 in Curuan
- 16/08/2012 14:09 - Man stabbed, hurt in Sinunuc
- 15/08/2012 13:38 - Killing spree continues as one more shot to death in Divisoria