Friday, 10 August 2012 11:11
The City Council on its regular session last Wednesday approved a resolution giving Mayor Celso Lobregat the authority to assist the flood victims in Manila and Luzon whether in cash or in kind.
Councilor Mike Alavar, who authored the motion, said Zamboanga City is consistent in its support to other local government units which had been devastated by typhoons in the past.
“If you recall, the city government has aided in terms of money and in kind to the people of Illigan, Cagayan de Oro and Jolo the past months when these LGUs have been ravaged by floods,” Alavar said in an interview.
The councilor said based from news report about 90 percent of the people in Luzon and greater Manila areas are affected and suffering from flood waters.
It is the discretion of the mayor where he will source out the funds to help the people in that locality, Alavar emphasized.
Alavar also stressed the need to help our neighbouring LGUs which are in distress and requires the assistance of other government units.
According to him, Zamboanga City is really blessed because “we are being watched and taken cared of by Nuestra la Virgen del Pilar, our patron saint.”
He called on residents to plant trees in their vacant lots to help address the climate change at the same time cautioned residents living near river banks to be extra careful especially during heavy downpour.
By Nonong Santiago
- 11/08/2012 00:00 - Renown fashion designer belies Aussie's allegation
- 11/08/2012 00:00 - Send Bulk Text Messages to your clients in a flash with Sun Business Message Cast
- 11/08/2012 00:00 - 2 robbery suspects arrested
- 10/08/2012 11:15 - 2 bandits killed, 1 captured in Tungawan town firefight
- 10/08/2012 11:13 - 1 positive case of Enterovirus confirmed in Zambo City
- 10/08/2012 11:09 - Dialogue on helmets issue set next week at City Council
- 10/08/2012 11:00 - DTI issues ICC stickers for helmets
- 10/08/2012 10:58 - Hataman condemns BIFF attacks in Maguindanao
- 10/08/2012 10:57 - Iturralde bares political plan
- 10/08/2012 10:55 - SC rules with finality: Young Jalosjos is qualified to run