Friday, 03 August 2012 14:22
A training on Good Agricultural Practices for White Corn, Promotion of Corn for Health and Corn Quality Standard Training is being conducted by the Department of Agriculture (DA).
The training began Wednesday and will end on Friday at Grand Astoria Hotel.
“We will be discussing the good production and storage practices in order to produce quality corn," DA Chief Agriculturist Candido B. Damo said in interview.
Some 100 inviduals, mostly DA agricultural technicians coming from Region IX and the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, are being trained.
Importance and status of corn quality in the Philippines, updates in the corn industry, record keeping, procedure and importance of soil sampling, fertilizer, pesticides, pre harvest practice, harvesting and post harvest practice, corn seed selection, farm structure and facility maintenance, corn as food, health benefits of corn and others are the topics being discussed.
Candido said the ultimate goal is geared towards exportation of corn. “In case our production of corn will surpass our local demand definitely, we will export the excess of the local demand. If we will produce quality corn then definitely wala ng problema sa International market.”
Corn production is high in Region II and South Cotabato while there is an increase in yellow corn production in Region IX, but still in deficit in the region's demand.
For the white corn, 35% of the population are eating white corn and the region has surplus. Yellow corn is being used for making feeds while the white corn is being consumed and used for food.
By R.G. A A. Go
- 04/08/2012 11:00 - PMA entrance exam set to kick off on August 26
- 04/08/2012 10:53 - 3 cops, civilian killed, 5 more wounded in Sulu ambush
- 03/08/2012 14:24 - Grenade blast at Catholic Cathedral in Jolo, Sulu
- 03/08/2012 14:24 - Brgy. chairman, 3 others arrested for illegal guns in Zambo del Sur
- 03/08/2012 14:23 - City gov't, PSC support Diaz in London 2012 Olympics
- 03/08/2012 14:20 - Deles named PH role model for peace by int'l award body
- 03/08/2012 14:17 - Vision of shared governance high in Rep. Erbie’s priority
- 03/08/2012 14:14 - Graft case to be filed against Tugbungan chair, treasurer
- 03/08/2012 14:13 - LTO will enforce use of full-faced motorist helmets next year
- 03/08/2012 14:12 - Man arrested for burning own home in Patalon