Monday, 30 July 2012 12:45
DENR expert is the 106th gunshot victim
A local environment expert was shot to death yesterday morning outside his home near National Irrigation Administration (NIA) compound in Barangay Tumaga in this city, according to police report.
The incident is the latest of a string of shooting this month that has raised issues of concern over peace and order and safety in Zamboanga City.
As of yesterday, the billboard of the Universidad de Zamboanga (UZ) posted at its school building in downtown showed that since January 1, 2012, a total of 105 number of gunshot victims were recorded excluding the latest shooting incident.
Police identified the latest gunshot victim as Rogelio Miang, 50, married, a special resource analyst of the Department of Environment and Natural Resource (DENR), residing in Barangay Tumaga.
Based on police reports, Mr. Miang was about to enter his residence when one of the two gunmen riding-in tandem on a motorcycle appeared from behind and shot him repeatedly in close range.
The victim sustained multiple gunshot wounds from a Caliber .45 pistol in the different parts of the body and was rushed to Ciudad Medical Zamboanga hospital for treatment of bullet injuries but was declared DOA by the attending physician.
The gunman immediately ran towards his companion waiting at their getaway motorcycle then sped off towards unknown direction, according to police investigators.
As of press time, the policemen of Sta. Maria Police Station continue to investigate the latest shooting incident to identify the suspects and determine the motive of the incident.
A report reaching Zamboanga Today disclosed that a retired policeman, whose identity was withheld, personally witnessed the incident but failed to react because he was unarmed during the incident.
The witness saw the incident and is now cooperating with the local policemen for the cartographic sketching of the suspects.
Just Thursday afternoon, two men were shot and killed by two unidentified gunmen riding-in-tandem on a motorcyle along the road in Barangay Sta. Maria in this city.
By Eugene A. Lasprilla
- 31/07/2012 11:25 - Nuño says revisit buy of defective JAC vehicles
- 31/07/2012 11:24 - PDEA celebrates 10th anniversary
- 31/07/2012 11:23 - Rep. Fabian website goes online today
- 31/07/2012 11:22 - SCC outreach program benefits 1,000 families in Lakewood
- 31/07/2012 11:20 - 2 men robbed, held-up along R.T. Lim Blvd.2 men robbed, held-up along R.T. Lim Blvd.
- 30/07/2012 12:42 - Beng renews 5T Philhealth cards
- 30/07/2012 12:41 - Elago questions privatization of water district, public hospitals
- 30/07/2012 12:41 - FEBARKAZA prexy opens Zetan’s basketball tourney
- 30/07/2012 12:39 - 'Fuerza' firmly behind Fabian's bid for mayor
- 30/07/2012 12:39 - Iturralde calls on police to score vs. criminals