Saturday, 21 July 2012 10:59
The budget for the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES) has increased from P9 Million to P19 Million this year, an official of the Department of Labor and Employment IX (DOLE) said.
“Iyung SPES natin is not only during summer it is now a year round program with a double amount in budget,” DOLE Assistant Regional Director Virginia L. Bonbon said in an interview.
The funds for the purpose came from DOLE Manila and the office has increased the funds for SPES because they saw the positive results of the program, according to her.
She added the move was made because the office was thinking of really helping students finish their education.
SPES program is open for both High School and College students. For high cchool, it is only open during summer since they do not have enough time to work while it is open year round for College students since they can already manage their time in school.
The work of these students includes sweepers or at the office doing errands or office related jobs. Most of the students wanted to join the SPES Program to earn for their family and for their school needs.
The high school students will have to work for 30 days while 52 days will be given to the college students. Their salary will be based on the existing minimum wage which is P267.00 per day.
The 40% percent of the salary of the students will come from DOLE while the other 60% percent from the employers.
Some of the employers of the students are the city government and other private sectors in this city.
Regarding the monitoring on where the salaries of these SPES workers go,Bonbon said they are given orientation before they can start working and it is a requirement that the amount they earned from SPES will be used for school.
According to the Assistant Regional Director, the program is a success because there were SPES workers before, where they are now professional and some are already government employees.
For those interested about the program they may inquire at the PESO Office or at the DOLE IX office.
By R.G. A A. Go
- 21/07/2012 11:15 - 1st Madaris directors meet held in Basilan
- 21/07/2012 11:13 - Another worker shot dead in Ayala
- 21/07/2012 11:10 - GPH, MILF end peace talks successfully in Kuala Lumpur
- 21/07/2012 11:00 - Guingona: 'City business firms adhere to senior citizens 20% discount'
- 21/07/2012 10:59 - Man held for violating gun ban
- 21/07/2012 10:55 - ZCMC on alert against EV71
- 20/07/2012 16:35 - Ex-soldier, fish vendor killed in separate shooting incidents
- 20/07/2012 16:31 - DIPO Director Barcena visits City Council
- 20/07/2012 16:30 - DSWD conducts CSO evaluation, workshop in Ipil, Zambo Sibugay
- 20/07/2012 16:28 - Elago calls on LTO to look into plate stickers stealing