Tuesday, 17 July 2012 14:16
A group of unidentified armed men Sunday morning ambushed a paramilitary and military unit providing travel security of two parish priests along the circumferential road of Sumisip in Basilan, wounding four militiamen, two of them were seriously injured, officials said.
Usec. Benito T. Ramos, Executive Director of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), said at around 10:00 a.m., CAFGUs and Special Forces units were conducting road security along the circumferential road of Sumisip, for the safe travel of two parish priests to Tumahubong, when an unidentified armed group ambushed the mentioned group of priests and paramilitary/military units.
According to Ramos, the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) voter’s registration is ongoing while the incident occurred.
“The military present in the area on the area is currently conducting an operation to locate the perpetrators...military units on the area are currently on heightened alert,” he said in a report posted at NDRRMC official website.
The NDRRMC website also disclosed that no Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) reported as a result of the incident.
The latest ambush is the second such attack to occur in Sumisip, Basilan in a period of five days.
Last Wednesday, July 11, 2012, six people were killed and 22 others were wounded in an ambush staged by suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits.
Five of the fatalities were rubber ‘tappers’ of the Tumahubong Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Integrated Development Cooperative (TARBIDC). The other fatality was a member of the Special Citizens Armed Forces Geographical Unit Active Auxiliary (SCAA) assigned to escort the rubber plantation workers.
Three other SCAA members and 19 plantation workers were wounded in the ambush.
By Hader Glang
- 18/07/2012 13:11 - Leonen to MILF: “We are at the door of an agreement. Let us persevere.”
- 18/07/2012 13:09 - Arson suspect arrested in Brgy. Tumalutap
- 18/07/2012 13:08 - Send love to your family, friends abroad for as low as P5
- 18/07/2012 12:54 - SOPHIL asks DTI to lower canned sardines price
- 18/07/2012 12:49 - ZCMC, Zamcelco, ZCWD prepared if disaster hits Zambo City - Officials
- 17/07/2012 14:15 - 1 woman killed, 2 others hurt in strafing off Basilan sea
- 17/07/2012 14:14 - Two held-up at Zone 3
- 17/07/2012 14:12 - Big challenges await for new WMSU prexy
- 17/07/2012 14:06 - Rep. Angara supports DepEd's K12 program
- 17/07/2012 13:59 - Arquiza condoles families of two burned kids