Thursday, 12 July 2012 15:41
More than one invidual are killed daily by gunshot in the city of Zamboanga, according to Regional Chief Directorial Staff Sr. Supt. Cornelio Navalta Barrios.
Speaking during the “Kapihan sa PRO9” held at the Astoria Hotel, Barrios confirmed this, citing the latest statistics of the shooting incidents in the city.
He said compared to other cities and provinces, the incident in Zamboanga City is one of the highest in the country.
The Kapihan was attended by the cross section of the city to include Zamboanga City Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation president Cholo Soliven, Councilor Abdurahman Nuño, Crime Watch chairman Sonny Jalani and members of the media.
According to Barrios, one of the common crimes is being perpetrated by men riding on motorcycles.
He said no less than PRO-9 director, Chief Supt. Napoleon Estilles, has approved the plan to put up police motorcycle riders under “Oplan Riders” to combat criminals riding on motorcycles and other crimes in the city.
"The police riders will undergo training today on how to combat and fight this menace effectively," Barrios said.
Barrios acknowledged the police lacked of vehicles, gasoline, guns and other logistics which are still inadequate.
As this developed, Universidad de Zamboanga has posted a big tarpaulin signboard at the university facade counting the numbers of people already killed since January to present.
The tarpaulin reads 88 killed to include UZ president Arturo Eustaquio III and still counting where most of the deaths are still unsolved.
by: Nonong Santiago
- 15/07/2012 00:00 - 1 of Chinese woman’s killers identified
- 15/07/2012 00:00 - Sarangani power plant up soon
- 15/07/2012 00:00 - Solis: Three-cornered fight for mayor in Zambo City
- 13/07/2012 15:06 - Six people killed, 20 others wounded in Basilan blast
- 13/07/2012 14:56 - Zamcelco sets special elections in Districts II, V & X on Aug. 5
- 12/07/2012 15:19 - Six people killed, 20 others wounded in Basilan blast
- 12/07/2012 15:18 - Beng nominated to TESDA Kabalikat Awards
- 12/07/2012 15:15 - Comelec first day of ARMM's voters registration went okay
- 12/07/2012 15:14 - DSWD gears up for NHTS assessment nex year
- 12/07/2012 15:12 - Elago stresses need for rugby boys, girls rehab center