Tuesday, 10 July 2012 13:11
The Amnesty International (AI), a group which is particular when it comes to Human Rights is batting for the passage of an Arms Trade Treaty which will scrutinize the trade and selling of firearms.
“Pag may arms trade treaty, bawat trade, pagbili ng armas, susurin muna bago mag benta ng armas," Amnesty International Director Dr. Aurora Purong said during an interview.
Purong said that most of the firearms came from China, United States of America, United Kingdome, France, and Philippines.
The issue is now being discussed in the United Nations (UN) which started last July 2 and hopefully it will be adopted by July 28, the official said.
She said that after it will be adopted on July 28 hopefully it will be ratified by the Philippine Senate and signed by President Benigno Simeon Aquino III later this year.
According to her, the group already sent a letter to President Aquino asking to support the ATT.
Aside from this, she said that some Local Government Units (LGUs) favor the implementation of an ATT.
Meanwhile, the AI director appealed for a stricter implementation of the firearms ban since killings still continue especially in this city.
“May mga batas tayo hingil sa paglilisensiya ng mga armas sana seryosohin ng mga government official’s natin dito. Kung illegal ang isang armas, talagahan kumpiskahin ito at pagnakumpiska huwag ng mapupunta sa iba uli,” Purong said.
Regarding the proliferation of unlicensed firearms, mostly used in crimes, she said: “Nakikita namin problema sa ibang bansa. Pero kahit dito din sa Zamboanga City kasi maraming nare-report na namamatay dahil sa pagbaril at yung binaril ay hindi nabibigyan ng hustisya.”
by: R.G. A A. Go
- 10/07/2012 13:16 - Two CEO employees in hot water over Comelec gun ban
- 10/07/2012 13:15 - 79 Zamcelco contractual workers promoted to regular
- 10/07/2012 13:14 - City water district office conducts LWD-MACRO training seminar
- 10/07/2012 13:14 - Comelec start 'cleansing' of ARMM voters' list
- 10/07/2012 13:13 - Erbie hand over sports equipment in Lamisahan
- 10/07/2012 13:10 - JDC urges women with breast cancer to have early treatment
- 10/07/2012 13:09 - Lobregat optimistic Comelec will favor petition vs Jalosjos
- 10/07/2012 13:07 - “He’ll assume post by July 16,” -Yanga
- 10/07/2012 13:06 - Muti kagawad arrested for illegal gun possession
- 10/07/2012 13:05 - Sangali fishing firm worker stabbed by companion