Monday, 09 July 2012 12:14
The Philippine Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) is set to install a tsunami sensor this year at the local wharf to help in the monitoring of possible tsunami that may hit the city.
Officer in Charge PHIVOLCS Zamboanga City Allan Labayog said that throughout the Philippines for this year they will be installing a tsunami sensor in the city of Zamboanga.
"We will have a collaboration with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA),” he added.
The tsunami sensor, according to Labayog, will cost millions of pesos that is why the office will have a collaboration with JICA.
Part of the sensor will be pointing to the water where it will be laser guided to record a change in tide and its type.
The equipment will be housed inside the PPA compound consisting of sensor, transmitter, and a satellite dish which all came from Japan.
He also said that the equipment can stand alone and it will not rely on the Zamboanga City Electric Cooperative for power it will have its own power system and solar panels.
Sometimes after an earthquake a tsunami might also follow. The tsunami alert are as follows: Alert Zero, no tsunami, Alert one needs confirmation, Alert two, confirmed and in effect precautionary measures while Alert three means full evacuation.
The warning time for tsunami are for a local tsunami, the maximum time is 20 minutes to evacuate while more than an hour for a distant tsunami.
Labayog said there is always a probability for earthquake because the city and the region is surrounded by two tectonic trenches the Sulu and Cotabato trench which could trigger an earthquake and tsunami.
The Sulu trench last moved during September 21, 1897 while the Cotabato trench last moved last August 17, 1976.
The whole country is also at risk as the Philippines is one of the countries located along Pacific Ring of Fire.
By: R.G. Antonet Go
- 09/07/2012 12:21 - All set for Nutrition Month celeberation
- 09/07/2012 12:20 - Fabian to Lobregat-Climaco supporters: Let’s respect other’s decicion
- 09/07/2012 12:17 - Intensity 3 earthquake hits Zambo
- 09/07/2012 12:16 - No.1 kagawad assumes brgy. chair in Sta. Maria
- 09/07/2012 12:15 - Monsi running for Congress
- 09/07/2012 12:13 - Police file murder cases vs fish vendor's killers
- 09/07/2012 12:13 - PRISAA holds regional membership meeting
- 09/07/2012 12:12 - Two suspects in Recodo shooting face murder raps
- 08/07/2012 00:00 - Shariff Albani urges Comelec to impose total gun ban for Tawi-Tawi voter’s list-up
- 08/07/2012 00:00 - Man arrested for poking rifle at neighbor