Monday, 25 June 2012 11:02
Citing the right of the people to information on matters of public concern, Councilor Cesar Jimenez Jr. in last week’s regular session passed a resolution requesting the Mines and Geo-Science Bureau for copies submitted by the Office of the City Environment and natural Offices (OCENR) in its application for ECC relative to the implementation of the sanitary landfill in barangay Salaan.
In his privilege speech, Jimenez questioned the city government why it is hell-bent in putting up the sanitary landfill project in Salaan since the proposed site fails to meet the criteria such as its proximity to the ground water source and no assurance that it could help prevent contamination of the water even if the government will spend huge amount of funds for the engineering measures and design.
“Imagine the government will spend more than P300 million for the engineering measures and interventions but we are still not assured that the water will not be contaminated,” Jimenez said.
Jimenez also questioned his colleagues why they are turning a blind eye to the proposal of putting up the 10 hectare garbage disposal facility in Salaan that could someday affect the ecology and health of the residents.
“Where is the World Bank study on the proposed site and the results of the test conducted by the Earth Drill a ;private company tapped by the OCENR to conduct a geological study on the proposed site that found the site to be positive, feasible and recommended its approval by the Solid Waste Management Board chaired by the mayor? Is the MGB already been replaced and its functions devolved to a private firm?” Jimenez added.
The alderman fro Ayala said the coming generation has the right to a sound environment and healthful ecology and city officials have their obligations to ensure the protection of that right for the generation to come.
By Nonong santiago
- 25/06/2012 11:04 - Jordanian gov't makes contact with PHL authorities, Atyani's kidnappers in Sulu
- 25/06/2012 11:04 - Beng elated with CCC’s Gawad Rizal award
- 25/06/2012 11:04 - Red Cross prepares for blood donors month
- 25/06/2012 11:03 - BPI renovation reveals Chinese roots, Mandarin history
- 25/06/2012 11:03 - Council asks vacant lot owners to cut the grass
- 25/06/2012 11:01 - PLDT bares drop in landline subscribers
- 25/06/2012 11:00 - Man shot by own cousin in Wedding
- 25/06/2012 10:59 - Suspect in shooting incident arrested
- 24/06/2012 00:00 - Gunmen kill kagawad, 3 others, hurt 1 in Dinas, Zambo Sur ambush
- 24/06/2012 00:00 - Businessman shot, hurt in Barangay San Jose