Saturday, 16 June 2012 13:34
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) revealed that Zamboanga City was hit by an Intensity II earthquake last Thursday night.
PHIVOLCS Zamboanga City Science Research Analyst, Engr. Allan Rommel Labayog said the earthquake epicenter was monitored at North 68 Degrees West of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte with a magnitude of 4.50.
The said earthquake hit Ipil, Zamboanga del Sur, Liloy, Labason, Salug, Sindangan and Manukan in Zamboanga del Norte, and the cities of Zamboanga and Pagadian.
The seismograph registered Intensity V for Ipil, Intensity IV for Liloy and Labason, Intensity III for Salug, and Intensity II for Sindangan, Manukan, and the cities of Zamboanga and Pagadian.
The earthquake generator is among several fault splays from the Mindanao fault system. Splays are small faults from the main fault trace.
Labayog said the movements were just normal saying the average number of earthquakes per day is 20 and the said event was part of the said number.
There is always probability for earthquake because the city and the region is surrounded by two tectonic trenches, the Sulu and Cotabato trench which could trigger earthquakes and even tsunami.
The Sulu trench last moved on September 21, 1897 while the Cotabato trench last moved on August 17, 1976.The whole country is also at risk as the Philippines is one of the countries located along the Pacific Ring of Fire.
By:R.G. Antonet Go
- 16/06/2012 13:37 - Man shot dead in Guiwan
- 16/06/2012 13:36 - City Gov’t lauds WMSU grader’s win in bowling
- 16/06/2012 13:35 - Lobregat says further study needed on proposed privatization of public hospitals
- 16/06/2012 13:35 - Basilan landmine explosion injures rubber plantation worker
- 16/06/2012 13:34 - Foreign journalist, two others reported missing in Jolo
- 16/06/2012 13:33 - Riding-in-tandem men rob store at gunpoint
- 16/06/2012 13:33 - Court dismisses petition for TRO vs Zamcelco AGMA
- 15/06/2012 11:25 - Sen. Enrile says Congress eyes moving barangay polls to 2016
- 15/06/2012 11:23 - ARMM announces availability of Indonesian scholarships for 'madrasah' teachers
- 15/06/2012 11:17 - Atilano reacts on TRO petition vs Zamcelco's AGMA