Friday, 08 June 2012 11:05
Zamboanga City is considered as the Sardines capital of the country, the reason why the Swiss government is eyeing the importation of sardines from this city to their country.
In a brief meeting yesterday with Mayor Celso Lobregat at City Hall’s conference room, Ivo Sieber, Ambassador Extraordinary Plenipontentiary, Ambassador of the Swiss Confederation said the sardines coming from this city are widely known all over the world, thus the reason why Swiss investors are looking forward to purchase and import the food commodity for consumption.
Sieber who came along with his wife, also disclosed that he is meeting with other Philippine government officials and the private and business sectors to dialogue on business and trade relations, mutual interest and other investment opportunities.
The Swiss ambassador also stressed his closeness to Zamboanga City because John Spirig, who established the John Spirig Elementary School in Suterville, was his grandfather.
“When I will go home to Switzerland, I will trace my grandfather’s roots. I am very happy that I have relatives in this city,” Sieber said.
Lobregat briefed the ambassador of the many Swiss products the Zamboanguenos are patronizing in business establishments.
“We have an array of products from Switzerland that we patronize such as the famous Swiss watches like Rolex, Swiss knives, chocolates and many more,” Lobregat said.
Meanwhile, Sieber expressed hope the Philippine government will be able to fasttrack its negotiation with terrorists who are still holding captive a Swiss national in Sulu.
The victim was kidnapped months back in Tawi-Tawi along with another foreigner while photographing birds species which are said to abound only in that province.
“I don’t want to talk about that because it is a sensitive issue. I know our government and the Philippine government are doing everything to bring liberty to the victims,” Sieber said,
by: Nonong Santiago
- 09/06/2012 12:18 - Gov’t backs MILF leadership institute
- 09/06/2012 12:17 - Search for 2012 Outstanding Volunteer is On
- 08/06/2012 11:08 - Husband kills wife, commits suicide
- 08/06/2012 11:07 - Talisayan Barangay Chair bolts from Lobregat camp
- 08/06/2012 11:06 - Basilan Army Chief to institute security sector reform
- 08/06/2012 11:05 - Another drug pusher arrested
- 08/06/2012 11:04 - Zamboanga Press Club to elect new officers
- 08/06/2012 11:03 - Sadain lauds OFWs on Migrant Workers’ Day
- 08/06/2012 11:02 - Swiss envoy: Efforts continue to safely recover kidnapped European bird watchers
- 08/06/2012 11:01 - Building blocks for peace in place on the ground - Deles