Thursday, 07 June 2012 11:23
The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) is expected to release a bronze marker that will commemorate Ciento Anos celebration of Bank of the Philippine Islands Zamboanga Main building.
The branch banking housing site will be a unique historical landmark that will emphasize the stability of BPI as banking institution and 100 years of making it easy for customers since 1912, this is according to Dr. Myl Johann R. Amsid, Senior Manager and Cluster Head of BPI Emerging Market Unit for Zamboanga, Dipolog, Pagadian and Ozamiz Cities.
The bronze marker will carry the legacy of the former Don Francisco Barrios House, a Bahay na bato built in the 1870s by wealthy Chinese merchant Don Francisco Barrios. Ground floor originally of thick lime mortar walls and second floor still of hardwood. Official residence of Gen. John Pershing, Military Governor of the Moro Province, 1909-1913. Second branch of Bank of the Philippine Islands opened at its ground floor on February 23, 1912. Purchased by BPI, 1928. Second floor retains American colonial architectural styles. Converted into BPI Museum Zamboanga in 2012 on the occasion of the BPI-Zamboanga Centenary, with the assistance of the BPI historical researcher Ms Icelle Borja Estrada, a member of a historical society accredited by the NHCP.
The National Historical Commission of the Philippines or in Filipino: Pambansang Komisyong Pangkasaysayan ng Pilipinas, abbreviated NHCP is part of the government of the Philippines. Its mission is "the promotion of Philippine history and cultural heritage through research, dissemination, conservation, sites management and heraldry works." As such, it "aims to inculcate awareness and appreciation of the noble deeds and ideals of our heroes and other illustrious Filipinos, to instill pride in the Filipino people and to rekindle the Filipino spirit through the lessons of history.
Today, the NHCP still undertakes all the functions of the previous commissions, most notably those of preserving historical sites and structures and serving as lead agency for the commemorations of Independence Day, Rizal Day. Since 2002 the NHCP has been under the able leadership of the Hon. Ambeth R. Ocampo as Chairman assisted by Executive Director Ludovico D. Badoy. On May 12, 2010, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed the law reverting the National Historical Institute into its original form as the National Historical Commission of the Philippines NHCP or PKP for Pambansang Komisyon Pangkasaysayan.
- 08/06/2012 11:02 - Swiss envoy: Efforts continue to safely recover kidnapped European bird watchers
- 08/06/2012 11:01 - Building blocks for peace in place on the ground - Deles
- 07/06/2012 11:29 - Guard dead, man wounded in Sta. Maria shooting
- 07/06/2012 11:28 - Army commander shot dead by subordinate
- 07/06/2012 11:28 - Beng bats center for women, kids nationwide
- 07/06/2012 11:21 - Council wants food for sale classified
- 07/06/2012 11:19 - LTFRB reminds PUJs to grant fare discounts
- 07/06/2012 11:05 - Man shot in Recodo
- 07/06/2012 11:04 - Sadain calls for hoisting of Zambo flag with PH flag
- 07/06/2012 11:04 - Hataman asks fellow ARMM govs to forget politics of past