Wednesday, 06 June 2012 12:04
Two chinese nationals were seized by unidentified gunmen in Kabasalan town in Zamboanga Sibugay province Monday night, authorities said.
Chief Supt. Manuel Barcena, Chief of the Directorate for Integrated Police Operations (DIPO), identified the victims as Lin Yuankai also known as Jampong Lin, 38, and Jian Luo also known as James Luo, 43, all Chinese Nationals.
Reports said around 6 or 7 heavily armed men forced their way into the rented home of the victims and abducted them at gunpoint, according to Kabasalan Mayor George Cainglet,
Based on report from the field, the victims are engaged in copper and manganese business and have been staying over a year in Kabasalan.
The two were abducted at gunpoint while inside their rented house owned by Joyan Chiong at Barangay F.L. Peña about 7:55 in the evening.
Barcena said the victims were dragged to a color white van, used as their getaway vehicle, and fled towards an adjacent in Barangay Salipyasin, Kabasalan , where they burned the vehicle before fleeing the area on board a pump boat.
He disclosed that no words have been received from the abductors as of press time.
ABS-CBN reported, quoting Kabasalan Mayor George Cainglet, that the he got an unconfirmed information that the kidnappers and their victims boarded a pumpboat that headed towards Siay, Zamboanga Sibugay.
He said Lou and Lin have been living in the town for more than a year.
The victims buy and sell minerals such as copper and manganese.
Cainglet said the traders were able to secure a permit from local government for their business.
He said he told them once to be careful because they might be kidnapped and held for money.
Soldiers and police have launched search and rescue operations for the two victims.
The latest abduction of foreigners in Sibugay was the second incident to happen. In December 5, 2011, Warren Richard Rodwell, 52, an Australian National, was also seized at gunpoint by unidentified gunmen in his house in Ipil town.
By Eugene A. Lasprilla
- 06/06/2012 12:16 - Dapitan City mayor vouches for Jalosjos' 'transformation'
- 06/06/2012 12:15 - Mother's boyfriend hacked to death 19-year-old daughter
- 06/06/2012 12:14 - PENRO plants 26,000 mahogany seedlings in five towns in Sulu
- 06/06/2012 12:09 - PRC to celebrate Blood Donors Day
- 06/06/2012 12:05 - Puñada Martial Arts holds 'Gala Night'
- 05/06/2012 11:38 - Hataman, Akbar to sign peace covenant today
- 05/06/2012 11:37 - All set for Migrant Workers Day on June 7 -- OWWA
- 05/06/2012 11:35 - BPI announces 'Ciento' celebrations, opening of its Zamboanga Museum
- 05/06/2012 11:33 - Fabian calls on residents to adopt measures for preventive of dengue
- 05/06/2012 11:33 - No major problems encountered during opening of classes - DepEd