Saturday, 02 June 2012 11:10
The Department of Science and Technology IX (DOST) is set to distribute 2,030 Ovicidal/Larvicidal (OL) traps in the different elementary and high schools in this city this opening of classes on Monday, June 4, 2012.
"The traps will be deployed na maga Elementary and High schools kada classroom pone uno trap adentro y uno apwera," DOST IX Regional Director, Brenda Nazareth Manzano said.
The traps will be given to schools where the top ten barangays affected by dengue are located.
These barangays include Tumaga, Tugbungan, Sta Maria, San Roque, Putik, Tetuan, Guiwan, Canelar, Cabatangan, and Divisoria.
According to Manzano, there will be an orientation on the teachers before the traps will be deployed.
She said that in their monitoring it showed that the traps helped in trapping the eggs and larvae of mosquitoes.
The city already declared a dengue outbreak, where the dengue case is now almost 1,000 and reached now to more or less 12 deaths.
The OL trap is the invention of DOST's Industrial Technology Development Institute (ITDI). It includes three components: a black cup, a fiberboard and organic pellets.
The trap is easy to use because the user only needs to fill the cup with water, pour in a sachet of organic pellet and place the stick, which is made of fiberboard into the solution with the rough surface facing up.
Next is to place the cup inside or outside the house in a low-lying area and let it stand for up to six to seven days. After seven days, gently brush off into the solution the mosquito eggs stuck on the stick by using used toothbrush. Then disposed all the liquid content of the cup on dry ground and repeat the same procedure.
The scent of the organic pellets solution invites female mosquitoes to the OL Trap where they lay eggs on the lawanit stick and on the solution itself. The eggs and the wrigglers die once it get expose to the solution; thereby, preventing the next generation of mosquitoes from reaching adulthood.
by: R.G. A A. Go
- 03/06/2012 14:52 - City school division head praises Mayor Lobregat
- 03/06/2012 14:51 - Sun guarantees 24/7 support for roaming subscribers
- 03/06/2012 14:50 - UBBAP selects 5 finalists for Asia-PHL qualifiers
- 02/06/2012 11:11 - ARMM governors back meaningful autonomy
- 02/06/2012 11:11 - Baldoz unveils reform as she sets new standards for labor enforcement officers
- 02/06/2012 11:09 - Dr. Ong favors ZCMC conversion to GOCC
- 02/06/2012 11:09 - Assemblyman Ilimin lambasts DepEd under previous administration
- 02/06/2012 11:08 - Security guard, companion shot wounded in Guiwan
- 02/06/2012 11:08 - Lawmakers to amend ARMM Organic Act
- 02/06/2012 11:07 - 2 suspected thieves arrested in Bolong