Thursday, 31 May 2012 12:12
Three unidentified gunmen riding a motorcycle have killed a policeman, assigned to the Police Regional Office-Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (PRO- ARMM) based in Lamitan City, Basilan.
Killed was Police Officer 1 Ashri Naruddin y Nuh, 37, married, a native of Caluang, Sulu and temporarily residing at Waling-Waling Drive, Barangay Tugbugan in this city.
Naruddin was shot in broad daylight yesterday morning along the junction of Falcatan and Alfaro Streets in Barangay Tetuan, this city. He was the second policeman to be killed in the city in a month's time.
Last April 13, Police Officer 1 Florante Tuazon y Jurado, a member of the Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO) assigned to the Public Safety Company, was also shot to death by unidentified gunmen riding a motorcycle in tandem along Rotary Rotonda in the junction of Governor Camins Road in this city.
According to Tetuan Police Station commander Chief Inspector Elmer Acuña, the latest slain police officer sustained fatal gunshot wound in the head killing him instantly.
Police investigators together with the Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) recovered a spent shell of Caliber .45 Pistol at the crime scene.
Initial investigation conducted by the responding local police disclosed that prior to the incident, the victim came from Waling-Waling Drive, Tugbugan and boarded a Public Utility Jeepney (PUJ) with plate number JVE 199 owned by Salim Mustafa and driven by Sulaiman Mustafa bound to the city proper together with some other passengers.
According to the driver (Sulaiman Mustafa), the victim was already on board his PUJ when a passenger flagged down the vehicle prompting him to stop a few meters from the junction of Falcatan and Alfaro Streets.
Mustafa said that before the passenger was able to approach the PUJ, a motorcycle with three men onboard without any provocation shot the victim, who was seated in the passenger seat.
Witnesses said that the suspects sped off towards the city proper direction after the incident. Acuña revealed that continuous investigation is ongoing.
Personal grudge is being eyed by the authorities as the possible motive of the incident.
by: Eugene A. Lasprilla
- 01/06/2012 11:16 - Fabian sponsors bowling tourney for media
- 01/06/2012 11:13 - NGCP urges public to protect transmission lines
- 01/06/2012 11:13 - Ayala police launch manhunt vs armed men
- 01/06/2012 11:12 - Suspects in cop slay identified
- 01/06/2012 11:04 - Gov't 'comfortable' with conclusion of 28th formal talks with MILF - Leonen
- 31/05/2012 12:08 - 4TH Special Forces Battalion joins ISAWAD in Tree Planting
- 31/05/2012 12:08 - Region IX’s potential Agri Product is Rubber -- DA
- 31/05/2012 12:00 - ARMM governors attend GPH-MILF peace talks as observers in Malaysia
- 31/05/2012 11:55 - CCA to be revived
- 31/05/2012 11:54 - Ex-Brgy. Dita treasurer shot to death