Tuesday, 29 May 2012 11:14
At least 21 million students are expected to troop to public schools nationwide in the opening of classes on June 4.
Department of Education Secretary Armin Luistro said enrolment in public schools went up by one million.
"Last year, we had 20 million enrolments but this year, we expect 21 million students from kinder to fourth year high school," Luistro told reporters.
Luistro said the opening of school this year is more organized since various government agencies have coordinated with them.
"Mas handa kami ngayon kasi maraming agencies ang nakikipagtulungan," he said.
Luistro cited the efforts of the Philippine National Police in securing schools not just on the day of school opening but throughout the school year.
"Nangako ang PNP na maglalagay ng desks sa mga schools para matutukan ang safety ng mga estudyante," he said.
"Napakahalaga ng visibility ng pulis kasi kulang ang security guards sa mga schools. Iba pa din kapag may police officer sa paligid," he added.
The DepEd also launched on Monday "Oplan Balik Eskwela" to ensure a smooth and organized school opening.
The Deped had set up a command center at its main office in Pasig City to process complaints and serve as information center to parents and students.
The command center is open from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily and will last until June 8.
For inquiries, suggestions and complaints, parents may contact the command center's hotline and email: *Telephone number: 6361663 *Email: email@example.com *Text: 09194560027
- 30/05/2012 10:56 - Abubakar conducts gift-giving activity in Pamucutan
- 30/05/2012 10:54 - Police gear for opening of classes
- 29/05/2012 11:21 - Councilors support bill requiring disclosure of bank accounts
- 29/05/2012 11:20 - Alma Moreno eyes Senate seat
- 29/05/2012 11:15 - Deles hopes next GPH-MILF talks to “build on gains”
- 29/05/2012 11:13 - Cops train on E-Blotter
- 29/05/2012 11:12 - Leonen assures Mindanao business sector of an inclusive peace process
- 29/05/2012 11:11 - Luna Clan holds 3rd grand family reunion in Tungawan
- 29/05/2012 11:09 - Zambo Red Cross gets new blood bank centrifuge
- 29/05/2012 11:06 - Man shot dead