Thursday, 24 May 2012 11:33
As the political season ripens, analysts believe there is going to be a seven-cornered fight for the congressional seat in District 2 in the forthcoming midterm elections.
The congressional aspirants include Mayor Celso Lobregat’s brother Jomar Lobregat, Councilor Lilia Nuño, Dapitan Councilor Mercy Arquiza, Sam Francisco Enesando, John David Atilano Corpin (JDC), former Councilor Atty. Abelardo “Tongo” Climaco and Councilor Rommel Agan.
Earlier, Councilor Benjamin “Nonong” Guingona hinted that he might run for congress however, when Jomar and Nuño announced their intentions to run for the position, he backed out saying he will just support the LDP party’s choice.
It will be recalled, Jomar already transferred his residency from District 1 to District 2 and announced his plan to seek the congressional post as this will be left vacant by Congressman Erbie Fabian who is now on his last term.
Nuño on the other hand has also proclaimed her plan to run for congress even assuring that she will be the LDP’s choice since Jomar is not a member of the LDP because he chairs the Adelante Zamboanga Party.
Former Zamboanga del Norte congressman Nonong Jalosjos, who made known his intention to run for the mayoralty post in Zamboanga City, has chosen Arquiza to run for congress in District 2.
Enesando, who bolted out from the PDP Laban and joined the Liberal Party also reported his plan to run for the third time in the District 2 congressional race.
JDC has also signified his intention to run for District 2 congressman saying he could do much for the people in Zamboanga if he is in the House of Representatives rather than as councilor. “I might run for congress but I am still consulting with my family, friends and supporters,” JDC said.
It is still unclear if the announcement of Tongo Climaco to run for congress will come true or not. Earlier Climaco was distributing flyers about his plan.
Agan initially has indicated his intention to run for a higher position in the 2013 polls. When Jalosjos met the media twice for the announcement of Arquiza and the inauguration of the Zamboangueño for the Transformation of Zamboanga (ZTZ) headquarters in Tetuan, Agan was absent from both gatherings.
Although Agan hinted he would just run for councilor, but political pundits believe anything could still happen as the political season progresses.
by: Nonong Santiago
- 25/05/2012 10:57 - Explosion kills one, wounds four in Sibugay
- 25/05/2012 10:56 - Farmer dies of electrocution
- 25/05/2012 10:56 - Hataman: Livelihood, education to end kidnapping
- 25/05/2012 10:55 - JMC to hold prayer, healing sessions
- 24/05/2012 11:34 - CHO: No to Tawa-Tawa for Dengue treatment
- 24/05/2012 11:33 - Leonen says next round of talks between GPH, MILF will be very difficult
- 24/05/2012 11:32 - Lightning strikes twice, one dead, five injured
- 24/05/2012 11:32 - Man cuts own throat
- 24/05/2012 11:31 - MILF ready to resume talks, hopes for the ‘best’
- 24/05/2012 11:29 - DA Secretary to visit Ipil on Friday