My Google Page Rank

China deploys gunboat to disputed shoal

PDFPrintE-mail

China has dispatched a powerful military vessel in the South China Sea after rejecting a Philippine proposal to submit the Panatag Shoal dispute, now on its 10th day, to international arbitration, Chinese media reported yesterday.

The English-language China Daily based in Beijing said China's most advanced fishing patrol vessel, the Yuzheng 310, had been sent to protect Chinese fishermen in the region, which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea.

The newspaper, regarded as a guide to official Chinese policy, said that Beijing's latest moves underscored its "determination to protect its maritime interests in response to Manila's refusal to withdraw ships from Chinese waters."

Yuzheng 310, described as the fastest fishery administration vessel, left Guangzhou on the Pearl River just outside Hong Kong Wednesday morning for an undisclosed place in the South China Sea, it said.

10 fishing boats
The newspaper said that earlier on Sunday, Yuzheng 44061 left Zhanjiang port in Guangdong province to patrol waters around the Spratlys (which Beijing calls the Nansha Islands), which are being claimed in whole or in part by the Philippines and China and four other countries.
The official Xinhua News Agency said 10 boats were still fishing in the general area of Panatag, according to a Voice of America report.

"Beijing's decision to send more patrol ships is a necessary and justified step to show strength," China Daily said, quoting analysts.
"The move also sends the message to Manila that Beijing does not make concessions after China has shown patience and sincerity to avert the situation from deteriorating," the daily quoted an analyst at the China Foundation for International and Strategic Studies.

PCG ship stays put
The Armed Forces of the Philippines on Thursday announced that the government-commissioned archaeological vessel MY Sarangani and a fishing boat had left Panatag, which the Chinese calls Huangyan Island and which is internationally known as Scarborough Shoal.

Only a Philippine Coast Guard search and rescue vessel, BRP Edsa, remains in the area about 220 kilometers west of Zambales and well within the 370 km exclusive economic zone of the Philippines, according to Lieutenant General Anthony Alcantara, AFP Northern Luzon commander.

Alcantara said the BRP Edsa had reported sighting three vessels at Panatag but could not determine if they were Chinese. He said the Coast Guard could not even check the flags of the vessels.

"They are not Filipino vessels," Alcantara said in a phone interview with reporters in Manila. He said the Coast Guard had also spotted two outrigger boats in the lagoon in the middle of a cluster of reefs and islands. He said he had no information on when the fishing boats arrived there.

The sightings of the foreign fishing vessels on Wednesday coincided with the departure of the Sarangani and the Filipino fishing boat.
Alcantara said the two Filipino vessels left because their work was done and not because of intimidation. "As far as I know there was no threat to them. They were protected by our Coast Guard," he said.

He said the BRP Edsa would "continue its mission, to take care of our interest in Scarborough Shoal and then to protect our fishermen, Filipino nationals if need be."

Arbitration nixed
The standoff at Panatag started on April 10, two days after a Philippine Navy plane spotted eight Chinese fishing boats in the area. The Navy flagship, BRP Gregorio del Pilar, was dispatched to the scene. Navy officers boarded one vessel and found illegally poached marine life but two Chinese surveillance ships intervened. Beijing has since maintained civilian surveillance vessels in the area.
The Coast Guard later relieved the Gregorio del Pilar to enforce maritime laws, according to military and defence officials, while a diplomatic solution was being pursued.
On April 14, a Chinese vessel ordered the Sarangani to withdraw and on April 16 a Chinese aircraft buzzed a fishing boat in Panatag in the second such incident in four days, prompting the Department of Foreign Affairs to file a diplomatic protest.

Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, who is in New York on a previously arranged UN-connected mission, has proposed taking the Panatag issue to the International Tribunal on the Law of the Sea, but Beijing has rejected this, insisting on bilateral discussions.

Zhang Hua, spokesperson of the Chinese embassy in Manila, on Thursday urged the Philippines to settle the dispute "through friendly consultations so as not to complicate or aggravate the incident."

Philippine officials have vowed to remain at Panatag, claiming the area as part of the country. A limit to bullying
House Assistant Majority Leader Sherwin Tugna on Thursday urged the Aquino administration to lodge an immediate complaint in the tribunal based in Hamburg, Germany, without waiting for Beijing.

"China's thumbing down of our proposal should not mean its end. We have the right to pursue it in the proper legal forum," he said.
Senate Majority Leader Vicente Sotto III and Senator Francis Escudero on Thursday supported the Philippine Palace's decision to ignore Chinese demands to withdraw from Panatag.

"There's a limit in allowing ourselves to be bullied. It's called self-respect," said Sotto.
"It's not for them to make demands. The Philippines is correct in simply ignoring it instead of saber-rattling and fanning the flames of conflict any further," said Escudero.

In a statement, the leftist Bagong Alyansang Makabayan assailed Chinese incursions. "As a matter of principle, the Filipino people must assert Philippine sovereignty against any move to undermine it," said the group's secretary general, Renato Reyes Jr.
'They don't fish anymore'

Mayor Desiree Edora of Masinloc, Zambales province, said fishermen had been avoiding Panatag, which Spanish colonisers called Bajo de Masinloc, and which she said was part of her municipality.

"It is mostly our fishermen who go there to fish," she said in a radio interview Thursday. "They have not been there for quite some time because they are afraid that a confrontation might erupt. They don't go there anymore," Edora said. With reports from Dona Z. Pazzibugan, Jerry E. Esplanada, Cynthia D. Balana and Michael Lim Ubac; China Daily and Voice of America

yahoonews




Related news items:
Newer news items:
Older news items:

Comments   

 
0 #2 ibrahim 2012-04-27 14:57
philippines must focus its attention in solving its decade old mindanao problem. its has wasted a lot of time and resources, it has cause a lot of suffering to the people. it must take a tough and stong political will to bring peace to mindanao, eradicate those corrupt politicians and people to protect its sovereignity and country.
Quote
 
 
-1 #1 eyedrd 2012-04-27 11:17
after extensive review of ancient history and literature textbooks, Chinese knew nothing about south china sea because they were mainly continental people. With their emerging might, they want to bully its neighbors to make a fait accompli.
Extensive review of history and literature textbooks: Chinese are purely mainland people and knew nothing about the Eastern Sea (South China Sea)
http://www.eyedrd.org/2012/04/extensive-review-of-history-and-literature-textbooks-chinese-are-purely-mainland-people-and-knew-nothing-about-the-eastern-sea-south-china-sea.html
Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

City to require all ‘lechoneros’ to utilize San Roque slaughter and roasting facility

13 Jul 2018 Hits:145 Be the first to comment!

The city government is set to implement an ordinance mandating all members of the Lechoneros Association of Zamboanga to slaughter and do roasting activities at the government’s Slaughter House facilities in Barangay San Roque. Assistant City Administrator Cesar Raz disclosed the roasting place inside the Slaughter House compound is nearing completion and possibly will be in operation by August. Under the ordinance, all lechon operators are required to bring their respective pigs and cattle in the facility to be slaughtered and to be roasted in the new roasting facility. “Todo el maga lechoneros within seven kilometer radius will have to bring their pigs and cattle in the facility. Alli con estos ay man slaughter y alli tamen sila hace el lechon,” Raz emphasized. He [...] Read more

Prev Next Page:

Shooting suspect nabbed

11 Jul 2018 Hits:134 Be the first to comment!

Personnel of Police Station 9 led by Sr. Insp. Sammy Sakilin arrested on Monday the suspect in the shooting incident in Barangay Recodo last Saturday. Aljin Ahalul y Isad, 27, single, [...] Read more


Rotary Club West condemns killing of its immediate past president

09 Jul 2018 Hits:207 Be the first to comment!

The Rotary Club of Zamboanga City West (Rotary International District 3850), condemns in the strongest terms the gruesome killing of our Immediate Past President (IPP) Michael "Mike" T. Magallanes on [...] Read more


ZCPO: Martial law imposition helps deter crimes in Zambo

09 Jul 2018 Hits:157 Be the first to comment!

The Zamboanga City Police Office (ZCPO) yesterday disclosed that martial law has tremendously help the police in curving criminality in the city. Police PIO Sr. Insp. Shellamie Chang disclosed it has [...] Read more


ZamPen Native Chicken FIESTA atbp. to showcase AANR S&T outputs

07 Jul 2018 Hits:172 Be the first to comment!

The Western Mindanao State University (WMSU), through the Western Mindanao Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources, Research and Development Consortium (WESMAARRDEC), will host anew the ZamPen Native Chicken FIESTA atbp. on [...] Read more


Beng vows continuous service amidst threats

05 Jul 2018 Hits:196 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco said she will continue to perform her mandated duties despite the challenges including death threats. “We should be very cautions but it should not prevent us from serving [...] Read more


Zion celebrates 22nd Anniversary

12 Jun 2018 Hits:265 Be the first to comment!

In a simple ceremony, Zion Evangelical School celebrates this morning its 22nd founding anniversary. It will be recalled that on June 12, 1996, the school opened its doors of 525 students [...] Read more


Basilan Abu Sayyaf leader, nine followers surrender

12 Jun 2018 Hits:323 Be the first to comment!

A sub-leader of the Abu Sayyaf group and nine of his followers inolved in terroristic activities have surrendered to military. Lt. Col. Gerry Besena, spokesman of the Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom),  [...] Read more


Drug pusher falls

12 Jun 2018 Hits:278 Be the first to comment!

An alleged drug pusher was arrested in a buy-bust operation at Calle Junk, Barnagay Camino Nuevo, Zamboanga City, yesterday dawn. Police Station 11, Station Drug Enforcement Team (SDET) led by SPO3 [...] Read more


LGU, gov’t agencies to forge MOA on water monitoring project

08 May 2018 Hits:731 Be the first to comment!

The local government will be forging a partnership with national government agencies for a water monitoring project on Friday, May 11. City Planning Officer Engr. Rodrigo Sicat on Monday, May 7, [...] Read more


Four Kidnap victims rescued in Zamboanga del Norte

14 Mar 2018 Hits:1094 Be the first to comment!

Four kidnap victims, who were held captive for nine days in Sirawai town, Zamboanga del Norte, have been escued, the military said. The Western Mindanao Command's spokesperson, Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, said [...] Read more


Beng urges women: Be brave, be strong

09 Mar 2018 Hits:950 Be the first to comment!

In celebration of women empowerment, Mayor Beng Climaco urged all women to be brave and strong amidst challenges and difficulties. Speaking to hundreds of women and men who joined the Marcha [...] Read more


CA denies Musa’s motion on IP seat in City Council

09 Mar 2018 Hits:984 Be the first to comment!

The Court of Appeals has denied Ismael Musa’s motion for reconsideration relative to his assertion as sectoral representative of the Indigenous People in the Sangguniang Panlungsod of Zamboanga City. In a [...] Read more


City welcomes Curuan-Sibuco road

07 Mar 2018 Hits:1091 Be the first to comment!

Mayor Beng Climaco has welcomed the inclusion of the Curuan-Sibuco road project, one of the subprojects proposed under Improving Growth Corridors in Mindanao Road Sector Project (IGCMRSP) of the Department [...] Read more


Beng welcomes Litlit’s appointment as SP member

15 Feb 2018 Hits:1179 Be the first to comment!

President Rodrigo Duterte has appointed San Roque Barangay Chairman Joselito “Litlit” Macrohom as member of the Sangguniang Panlungsod or City council replacing Charlie Mariano who stepped down from office last [...] Read more


City Registrar observes Civil Reg Month

15 Feb 2018 Hits:984 Be the first to comment!

The city, through the Office of the City Civil Registrar,is observing the Civil Registration Month this February with several activities highlighting the importance of civil registration. The month-long observance is punctuated [...] Read more


CHO stresses need for measles vaccination

14 Feb 2018 Hits:861 Be the first to comment!

The City Health Office (CHO) yesterday appealed to parents to submit their children for measles vaccination. This after a seven-month baby died last February 6, 2018 allegedly due to measles, five [...] Read more


MYEISHA JOLO DOWN M.LOZANO TAWI – TAWI

11 Jan 2018 Hits:934 Be the first to comment!

Este el Istoria del Jong Cariaga Mindanao Cup 2018 que ya hace na Golden Boys gym anoche. Ya sale Champion el Myeisha Jolo kay completo todo departamento del juego especialmente [...] Read more


BFP personnel to undergo fire suppression activities

10 Jan 2018 Hits:855 Be the first to comment!

Personnel of the Bureau of Fire Protection in Zamboanga City will undergo fire suppression trainings in the days to come in a bid to keep them abreast of the firefighting [...] Read more