Tuesday, 19 February 2013 14:25
The switch on of 105 megawatts (MW) of power (Phase 1) from the Sarangani Energy Corporation (SEC) coal-fired power plant in Maasim, Sarangani Province is virtually assured as construction went into high gearfollowing the official turnover of the construction site to the plant’s engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contactor- Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd, (Daelim) of South Korea. Daelim now assumes full responsibility for ensuring that the project is completed on time.
The first phase of the SEC power facility will generate up to 105 MW of electricity to supply the power requirements of the Province of Sarangani , General Santos City, and other areas in Southern and South Central Mindanao.The SEC power plant, with a full two-phase capacity of up to 210 MW, is intended to be part of a long-term solution to the current power shortage in Mindanao.Alsons Consolidated Resources, Inc. (ACR) - the publicly-listed company of the Alcantara Group holds 75% equity in SEC with Toyota Tsusho Corporation (TTC) - the trading company of the Toyota Group, owning the remaining 25%. The project is expected to generate more than 1,000 jobs during its construction phase with priority being given to qualified residents of the host communities.
During the turnover ceremony, Maasim Municipal Mayor Arturo Lawa reiterated the support of the municipality for the power project. ACR and SEC chairman and president Tomas I. Alcantara spoke about the Alcantara Group’s 50 years of commitment to the development of Sarangani Province and the rest of Southern Mindanao and Daelim Industrial president Chul KyoonLee affirmed the EPC contractor’s obligation to completing the project in time. The ceremony’s final speaker was Sarangani Provincial Governor Miguel A. Dominguez who stated that the 13 Billion Peso SEC plant makes Sarangani Energy Company “the single largest investor in Region 12.” The turnover ceremony ended in a high note with Daelim’s Korean engineering team leading the SEC engineering team and other guests in a Gangnam Style flash mob.
Daelim Industrial Co. Ltd is one of the biggest construction and engineering firms in South Korea with projects in over 24 countries. It is the flagship of the Daelim Group one of the leading Korean business conglomerates.
Aside from the SEC facility, the Alcantara Groupcontrols and operates the 100 MW Western Mindanao Power Corporation (WMPC) bunker-fired power plant in Sangali, Zamboanga City and the Southern Philippines Power Corporation (SPPC) 55 MW bunker-fired power plant in Alabel, Sarangani Province.
The Group also recently broke ground for the 105 MW San Ramon Power, Inc. (SRPI) coal fired power plant in San Ramon, Barangay Talisayan, Zamboanga City. The SRPI plant which will provide power to Zamboanga City and nearby areas is expected to begin operating by 2016.
In the 1st quarter of 2012, the Alcantara Group through its subsidiary Mapalad Power Corporation (MPC) was granted by the City Government of Iligan the right to acquire the 102 MW Iligan Diesel Plant. The transfer of ownership is currently undergoing procedural review by the Commission on Audit (COA). Rehabilitation and operation of the Iligan plant will commence once the transfer is finalized.
Apart from power project development and power generation management, the Alcantara Group is also engaged in property development, aquaculture, agribusiness, and services. The group has been an active player in the economic development of Mindanao and the rest of the Philippines for over 50 years.
- 05/03/2013 14:28 - DOLE Secretary orders to strengthen One-Stop Shop Processing Center
- 05/03/2013 14:27 - World celebrates Glaucoma Week March 10 to 16
- 03/03/2013 00:00 - Myra inducts ARGOE new set of officers
- 03/03/2013 00:00 - WMSU moves to accredit programs
- 25/02/2013 16:59 - CMZ acquires new Laparoscopic, Tranesphageal Echogram Probe
- 19/02/2013 14:11 - CAO urges pedicab drivers to follow city ordinance
- 18/02/2013 14:24 - Region 7 retains crown in PRISAA national games ‘13
- 18/02/2013 14:21 - Ex-Rep. Villar to continue legislative work in the Senate
- 16/01/2013 13:34 - Cafgu shot, hurt in Sangali
- 12/01/2013 11:54 - Man kills self