Saturday, 04 August 2012 12:18
A new weather disturbance spotted outside the country has a chance of becoming a tropical depression, according to the Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).
Weather forecaster Raymond Ordinario said that as of 8:00 a.m. Friday, a low pressure area (LPA) was sighted about 1,710 kilometers east of Northern Luzon (17.7°N, 140.4°E) but is still too far to affect any parts of the country.
“Itong LPA na ito ay may chance na maging bagyo dahil nasa karagatan pa ito pero as of now malayo pa ito sa bansa natin,” he said.
Ordinario said they are also monitoring a tropical depression southeast of Japan which has a possibility of entering the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR).
“Sa ngayon dalawang scenario ang nakikita natin. Puwedeng yung LPA mahatak ng bagyo na nasa Japan na posibleng pumasok sa bansa, o yung LPA mag-intensify at maging bagyo,” he added.
Once it enters the country, Oridnario said the cyclone will be named “Helen” -– the eighth storm to affect the country this year.
PAGASA added the southwest monsoon will continue to bring scattered rainshowers and thunderstorms over Luzon and Western Visayas becoming widespread rains over Western Luzon which may continue to trigger flash floods and landslides.
"Residents living in low-lying areas and along mountain slopes are advised to be alert for possible occurrence of flash floods and landslides," the state weather bureau said.
The rest of the country will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rainshowers or thunderstorms.
- 07/08/2012 14:09 - CEB connects Boracay, Palawan to Davao, flies from 6th hub
- 07/08/2012 14:07 - PAL cabin crew recruitment tour kicks off August 11
- 07/08/2012 13:41 - WMSU College of Law’s SADAQAH extends to University Belt
- 06/08/2012 13:36 - Trying to change the world with Zamboanga Hace
- 04/08/2012 12:19 - Binay taps LGUs in fight vs. squatter syndicates
- 04/08/2012 12:15 - Senate to start budget deliberations next week
- 03/08/2012 14:50 - President Aquino approves creation of Mindanao Power Monitoring Committee
- 03/08/2012 14:50 - Palace asks claimant countries in WPS to observe previously agreed declaration to ease tensions
- 03/08/2012 14:46 - PAGCOR contributes P35B to national coffers since start of Aquino presidency
- 01/08/2012 13:34 - Americans want next president to prioritize job creation, reducing corruption: poll
Put your Feature Ad here ...