Thursday, 28 June 2012 14:00
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources- Special Concerns Office-Youth Desk (DENR-SCO- Youth Desk) and the office of the Presidential Assistant for Climate Change (OPACC), in cooperation with Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Manila Bay Coordinating Office (DENR-MBCO), Kabataang Sama-Samang Maglilingkod (KASAMA), Inc.,
Miriam Public Education and Awareness Campaign for the Environment (PEACE) and the Department of Education- Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs (DepEd-CSCA) conducted the 10th Youth for Environment Summer (YES) Camp last May 1-5, 2012 at the Teachers Camp and Baguio Country Club Multi-Purpose Hall, Baguio City, with its theme, “Handa Ka Na Ba?Climate Change Adaptation: The Next Level.”
The said YES Camp was attended by two young mentors Ms. Elizabeth T. Lozada and Ms. Rizza Earl Veverly Angeles with their five students of Don Pablo Lorenzo Memorial High School, Zamboanga City and other participated schools nationwide.
The Camp emphasized the significance of climate change adaptation and steps up awareness and action to achieve a level of preparedness among individuals, schools and communities nationwide. It seeks to achieve the following objectives:
1. Learn about the Science of Climate Change and its effects in the country;
2. Inculcate among students and teachers the importance and relevance of Climate Change Adaptation and Preparedness;
3. Develop students’ deeper awareness on the state of the environment, focusing on significant issues and concerns;
4. Encourage students’ active participation and determined concrete action in the protection, preservation and rehabilitation of the environment;
5. Instill environmental values in every student to motivate actual involvement in worthwhile programs, projects and activities for the environment; and
6. Strengthen the implementation of the YES Program pursuant to DepEd order no. 52, s. 2011 (Strengthening Environmental Education in Public and Private Schools) and DepEd Order No. 93, s. 2011 (Mandated Programs, Projects and Activities, Various Forms, and Targets Pertinent to the Youth for Environment in Schools Program).
There were lined-up activities and contest such as Speech Choir, Environmental Quiz,
Debate, SAYAWIT, on the spot Poster-making, Search for Lakambini and Lakan ng Kalikasan. The Camp also featured the Kabataang Bayani Awards and YES Program Awards.
The speakers were the following: Honarable Juan Miguel Zubiri of Eco Warrior Team, Mrs. Elisae G. Gozun, Secretary of Presendetial Asssitant for Climate change, Dr. Flaviano Hilario Head of Research and Development Division, PAG-ASA, Bro. Michael Angelo Lobrin, Author of inspirational Books, Mariano U. Pamonte Jr., A partylist Representative, Ms . Elizabeth V. Eduave, Mr. Audie Gemora, Mr. Athony Panganiban, Honorable Jack Ponce Enrile, Jr. Dr. Luz S. Almeda, Regional Director of DepEd Region X and Chin-Chin Gutierrez. They shared their thoughts on how to be sensitive and to give attention to our MOTHER EARTH with tender, loving and care. They emphasized the needs of our MOTHER EARTH.
By: Elizabeth T. Lozada
- 29/06/2012 13:23 - MVP in talks to buy GMA7 in cold cash
- 29/06/2012 13:22 - Santiago prefers ICC over CJ slot
- 28/06/2012 14:12 - President Aquino hails governance experts as contributors to nation building, backbone of bureaucracy
- 28/06/2012 14:10 - DA salutes 42 loyal employees
- 28/06/2012 14:09 - DFA seeks clarification on return of Chinese vessels to Scarborough Shoal
- 28/06/2012 13:56 - Excessive mercury content on products alarms lawmaker
- 28/06/2012 13:56 - Hog, poultry raisers abandon planned 'pork holiday'
- 28/06/2012 13:55 - Eight-man JBC is not a problem -- Fr. Bernas
- 28/06/2012 13:54 - President Aquino vows to go after corrupt officials in government
- 28/06/2012 13:54 - Storm signals up in 14 Northern Luzon provinces
Put your Feature Ad here ...