Thursday, 14 June 2012 11:07
A shallow low pressure area (SLPA) spotted 210 kilometers East of Northern Mindanao is expected to dissipate once a strong cyclone enters Philippine territory on Thursday or Friday, the weather bureau said on Wednesday.
Nikos Peñaranda, weather forecaster, said the tropical depression or a cyclone Guchol (international name) is still spotted in south of Guam and Caroline Island in the Pacific Ocean.
Peñaranda said the potential cyclone will be named 'Butchoy', the second one to enter the country after 'Ambo'.
He said the cyclone has a small chance to make landfall but is expected to strengthen because it will be enhanced by southwest monsoon.
"If ever this cyclone enters the country, the SLPA will dissipate. This is strong and it will overcome (the SLPA)," he added.
The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said the SLPA was seen 210 kilometers East of Northern Mindanao (9.5°N, 128.0°E) at 2 a.m. Wednesday.
It is monitoring the SLPA even as it has a small chance of becoming into a cyclone. It will continue to bring rain in Northern Mindanao.
Peñaranda said the cyclone is not affecting the weather system but the southwest monsoon which bring rains in western section of Luzon, particularly in central and northern Luzon including Metro Manila.
In its advisory, PAGASA said Northern and Western Luzon including Metro Manila will experience monsoon rains while Mindanao will have cloudy skies with scattered to widespread rain showers and thunderstorms which may trigger flash floods and landslides. Western Visayas will experience mostly cloudy skies with scattered rain showers and thunderstorms.
The rest of the country will be partly cloudy to cloudy with isolated rain showers or thunderstorms, it said.
- 14/06/2012 11:16 - Sen. Chiz asks Mindanaons to nominate candidates for CJ post
- 14/06/2012 11:14 - 22 Maguindanao villages flooded
- 14/06/2012 11:12 - Two dead, 5 missing in Sarangani floods, storm surge
- 14/06/2012 11:10 - Sun Cellular widens network reach in Bohol
- 14/06/2012 11:09 - Tabak chief extols Filipinos to demonstrate spirit of nationalism and patriotism
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Aquino urges rekindling of love for country, pledges to uphold the Constitution, defend it from abuse
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Vice President Binay leads 2012 Independence Day rites at Rizal Park
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - President Aquino reaffirms commitment to work for the good of the country
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - RBAP elated over removal of restrictions on bank branching
- 13/06/2012 13:05 - US students survive nine days in New Zealand bush
Put your Feature Ad here ...