Wednesday, 13 June 2012 13:06
President Benigno S. Aquino III reaffirmed his and his administration’s commitment to double efforts at implementing government reforms in order to effect tangible and real benefits that can and will be felt by each and every Filipino in all aspects of their lives.
In his toast at the Vin d’ honneur commemorating the 114th Year Anniversary of Philippine Independence held in Malacañang on Tuesday, the President said this deep responsibility to ensure that this liberty and its benefits be felt by all Filipinos "was entrusted to us by our forefathers whose courageous actions eventually led to our independence."
“Today, the Filipino holds his head high. On this, the 114th anniversary of our proclamation of independence, we mark our freedom at a time of renewed hope and optimism —a time in which the promises of reform and hard work are becoming tangible realities for each and every Filipino,” the President said.
“Today, we renew our commitment to work for the good of the country. And it falls on us —from those of us in government to our countrymen on the streets of our cities— to work together so we can realize our shared goals,” he added.
He called on all Filipinos and the international community to join government in realizing this unifying goal sooner than later.
“Prosperity cannot come in isolation; it requires cooperation, where we solve problems together, and build a dynamic milieu together. Just as our administration has pledged a policy of constructive, responsible, engagement with the world, so too, do we ask all nations, to work with us, to achieve the fullest potential of all our peoples,” the President said.
To symbolize his government’s commitment to work for the good of the people, he enjoined those present composed of lawmakers, government officials, businessmen and members of the diplomatic corps, to a toast:
“In a world where the challenges of today may compel nations to look inwards: let us resolve to work together in amity and in peace;
To my fellow workers in government—may the ideals of accountability, transparency, and genuine compassion remain our guide as we tread the straight and righteous path;
To the ingenuity and achievements of the Filipino people—may our countrymen continue to enjoy success in arenas the world over;
And to the future of the Republic of the Philippines—may our combined efforts help us bring our country to even greater heights,” the President said.
In response, Papal Nuncio and Dean of the Diplomatic Corps Archbishop Guiseppe Pinto expressed his gratification at being able to join Filipinos in celebration of their 114th year of Independence as he expressed his and the diplomatic corps’ sentiments of affection and friendship.
He cited the Philippine flag which he said symbolizes the founding values of the Filipino people: brotherhood, peace, justice, freedom and sovereignty.
"After more than a century, even in a period of crisis, which extends to almost every country in the world, the same ethical and civil principles constitute a sure point of reference in dealing with the political, social and economic challenges emerging not only within the boarders of the Republic but also in the regional and the global milieu,” Pinto said.
- 14/06/2012 11:10 - Sun Cellular widens network reach in Bohol
- 14/06/2012 11:09 - Tabak chief extols Filipinos to demonstrate spirit of nationalism and patriotism
- 14/06/2012 11:07 - Strong cyclone approaches; SLPA spotted in N. Mindanao seen to dissipate
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Aquino urges rekindling of love for country, pledges to uphold the Constitution, defend it from abuse
- 13/06/2012 13:30 - Vice President Binay leads 2012 Independence Day rites at Rizal Park
- 13/06/2012 13:06 - RBAP elated over removal of restrictions on bank branching
- 13/06/2012 13:05 - US students survive nine days in New Zealand bush
- 12/06/2012 19:27 - DOST to showcase latest local technologies in National Science and Technology Week
- 12/06/2012 19:26 - Despite loss, hero’s welcome awaits Pacquiao in GenSan
- 12/06/2012 19:26 - Study digs into secrets of keeping HIV in check
Put your Feature Ad here ...