Tuesday, 29 May 2012 11:24
Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo said he will issue a circular that will disallow local government units from using 70 percent of their calamity fund if they do not have the Seal of Disaster Preparedness.
”I will issue the circular in two weeks’ time,” he said at the forum over the weekend attended by Central Visayas mayors at the Cebu International Convention Center in Mandaue City.
To obtain a Seal of Disaster Preparedness, a local government unit (LGU) must have a functioning local disaster risk reduction and management council, and an approved disaster preparedness plan.
During the Tapatan on Disaster Preparedness and Climate Change Adaptation forum, the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) gave the Seal of Good Housekeeping to 75 LGUs from the region.
Recipients of the award were identified based on the DILG’s Local Governance Performance Management System, a web-based, self-assessment tool that measures the LGUs’ performance in key governance areas.
Twenty-six LGUs from Cebu Province, including Mandaue City, received the certificate.
Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes said the Mandaue City government would use the P25-million cash incentive that came with the seal to build more classrooms.
The city will also receive P3 million under DILG’s Performance Challenge Fund.
Robredo noted that 82 percent of LGUs in Central Visayas have local risk reduction and management councils.
He said 70 percent of each town’s calamity fund is intended for activities and projects related to disaster preparedness and mitigation.
Robredo said the DILG earmarked P750 million for the Performance Challenge Fund for this year.
- 30/05/2012 11:08 - DOLE 12 eyes declaration of South Cotabato mining village as child labor-free
- 30/05/2012 11:07 - New potential cyclone spotted in Mindanao –PAGASA
- 30/05/2012 11:06 - Going Back to School is more fun with Sun Cellular!
- 29/05/2012 11:29 - Palace says Sonia Brady top choice as ambassador to China
- 29/05/2012 11:24 - Pacquiao ready to fight Bradley - Roach
- 29/05/2012 11:23 - Gov’t rejects bids for 3-mo T-bill
- 29/05/2012 11:22 - Aquino announces P25-B GSIS investment fund for infra projects
- 26/05/2012 11:48 - Senate may hold weekend impeachment trial
- 25/05/2012 11:14 - DOJ confirms arrest order vs. Globe Asiatique owner
- 25/05/2012 11:14 - 'I will not sign any waiver,' says Drilon
Put your Feature Ad here ...